Close

Entry/Minimal Use 3d Printer recommendation?

Hey all, I was thinking about best uses for a 3D printer andbest targets to hit with a 3d printed projectile.I came up with best use of a 3d printer would be printing arifle tripod. I want something that has an adjustable length, say around 100cmor 125cm, to hold a bolt action .22lr rifle. It also needs to be sturdy enoughnot only carry the weight of the gun but provide good aim over small distances(15-25m?).Also how can i print projectiles? What is best approachhere? Using 1.75mm PLA, ABS etc.? Should i stick to round balls or should Iexperiment with flat nosed bullets? Any advice on this would be appreciated aswell! Thank you so much for any help! -Timothy Hayes, a novice shooter and a rookie 3Dprinter. After some research I have found the best possible solutionto these problems. The best rated shooting tripod reviews for this type of work is called the" Primos Quick Stick Mini ". It's adjustable from 33" to51" long, can hold about 8 lbs., and fits perfectly in my range bag withrifle attached. For best results I recommend printing your rifle object at 100%infill on high quality settings . You will also need a bolt action .22lr riflemodel , which you can find here or on many other websites . Please avoid usingABS as a print material as it will warp under heat, instead use PLA
    Last edited by GeorgeSteven; 12-24-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Next time you should leave out the bit about being associated with a law firm. Reliable 3d printer is an oxymoron and nobody wants to get sued for their advice.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol, there is that.
    But I'll try and help anyway :-)

so the standard questions:
    what's your maximum budget
    What's the largest thing you're likely to want to print ?
    When you say 'clients scans' what ind of detail level is involved and can they supply them to you as a printable stl file ?

If all thy have is a pointcloud with a bunch of faces. It'll be a total PITA to make it something you can print.

Is colour important ?
    There are a few cheapish ($3-10,000) full colour fdm printers around and there's also the mosaic multicolour unit, that can be added to most fdm machines for about $700

So give us some more info and despite any legal repercussions, I'll see what there is that might suit you :-)