Close

part cooling fan any printer

wondering if there is such a thing as to much air flow as fare as part cooling?
    is a 40mm fan enough or could a 80mm or larger be used with out being to much air ?
    thanks

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Well on my delta I use a single 30mm fan and my own design focussed turbo nozzles.
    All i can say is it works really well.

An the sapphire pro I have 2 40mm turbo fans angled and wide - but still seriously great cooling.

The way the air is focussed would seem to be more important that the actual total volume of air moved.

More IS better - but AIMED is better than just blowing roughly towrads the nozzle and keeping your fingers crossed it's in the right area.

It's more inportant to have the area directly below the nozzle the main focus of the air - as i have on my delta - rather than a lot more air blowing down across the whole width of the print carriage - as I have on the sapphire pro.
    Both do pretty much the same job. But one uses a single small fan and the other two much larger and more powerful fans.

In other words intelligent design is better than brute force.

So yes, more air is better - but you still need to design the air duct properly to make the best of it.

thanks for the info right now I'm using a 2 fan shroud with 1 40mm for the part cooling and 1 40mm for the heat sink I still get the lines in my prints but they are better than the single stock 30mm fan on my monoprice select mini v2 i am having problems with my 2 ender 3's but that is a different issue in it's self .
    I am still learning things and at some point I will learn to make my Owen parts.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well part cooling doesn't eliminate lines.
    It helps mainly with angles: overhang underhangs etc.

But layer lines are usually down to something else.

have you tried a simple print with fan on and fan off.

maybe a simple column or cube.
    Just to see if the fan makes any difference with the lines.