Close

Recycle Materials

I just bought a printer and I'm looking for ways to re-use some of the waste: failed parts, support material etc. I have looked at videos about creating your own filament from scrap but that technology doesn't seem to be affordable at the user level yet.

I have seen reference to something called "ABS Slurry" which consists of waste ABS dissolved in Acetone. Has anyone worked with this? Is it moldable? Does it eventually dry out and harden?

Is there a chemical that will do the same with PLA?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    abs slurry is primaraly used as a print adhesive for abs prints.

I suppose if you made it thick you can use it as a sort of 3d paint.
    But breathing acetone is not recommended and while your are recycling the abs, you are also releasing a lot of acetone into the atmospehre.
    It's also an extremely volatile and flammabe vapour and liquid.

So not sure how 'green' it is.

The best advice is to just try and not print things - like benchies - that are just waste plastic from the get go.

When you see what is involved in making decent printer filament - it's not going to be a home industry any time soon.

Until we get a reliable hopper fed extruder that will take bulk plastic pellets - and consequently recycled plastic pellets.
    Home recycling is just not viable.

One of my thoughts was to print my supports with PLA and only the top 2mm in PVA and then reuse the PLA. But now I'm thinking "PVA is 'compostable'" does that mean that PVA dissolved in water is RELATIVELY eco friendly? Is it better to put it down the drain or use it to water my garden?

All in all, supports, failed prints and transition towers are going to be my major waste.

and apologies for reposting this. I forgot about my Janyuary post

"Yeah, there are some potential pitfalls with using acetone for recycling. I’m a construction worker mostly doing renovations in private homes. My company is partners with Disposal Bin Rental. Usually, we throw everything into the disposal bin. Doesn't matter if it's wood, plastic, cardboard, glass, or steel. They sort it out later. But starting in 2021, we were asked to put aside any 3D printer plastic instead of just dumping it. My guess is that this type of material goes directly to 3D printer manufacturers for recycling. "
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 09-02-2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: disable commercial link

Student
    In the last few days, I've bought a printer. I'm looking for ways to reuse some of the waste that comes with it: broken parts, support material, and so on. To make your own filament from scrap, I've looked at videos about how to do it. So far, I think that technology isn't cheap enough for people to use.