Close

Looking for Health and toxicity informaiton on 3d printing.

I am developing axxxxx for 3d printing and I am looking for information on health and toxicity facts on 3D printing filaments. Anyone know of any resources?
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 07-26-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Hello Clearview,

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303392782
    https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.7b01454 this should get you started. (You can get the paper for free on scihub or pm me with your email)

the long and short of it is: PLA is not "that" bad but the HEPA filter on my printer box still has a lot of fine grey particulate on it after a few weeks of occasional printing. Pretty much everything else especially ABS(!!!) is straight up poison. It releases styrene while printing which is toxic and carcinogenic. The particle emission spikes above 200 °C printing temperature in their study but this is heavily dependent on printer and filament manufacturer.

Resin printers probably are even worse. I am a chemist an we have a resin printer in the lab in a fume hood and even there it is not pleasant to work with that stuff. So selling those to private citizens without extensive lecturing over the health risks ans proper handling of toxic materials borders on criminal in my opinion.

Unfortunately the topic of health risks in 3D printing is woefully under reported and rarely a topic of discussion, but it surely will become one when cancer rates among 3d printing hobbyists spike in 15-20 years I would strongly suggest to use an enclosure with your FDM printer with a strong fan which either filters the fumes through HEPA and(!) charcoal filters or better leads outside. And keep your hands of resin printers if at all possible.

Regards,
    Phillip
    Last edited by Phill1337; 08-24-2021 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks Phill1337 for the information, I really needed that.
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 01-24-2023 at 12:06 PM. Reason: link check