Close

Thread: Foreign Objects

Student

Foreign Objects

This will have been discussed before .. I apologise, but I don't know how to explain what I want to know, so I have no idea how I would use the 'search' function ..!

I don't even have a 3D printer yet .. still making up my mind ..!

The first thing I would like to make once I have all the bugs ironed out is a case that separates into 2 pieces (for ammunition), and I want to use magnets to hold the two pieces together. What I want to know is if I can put small rare earth magnets in a void (of the correct size) and then keep printing over the top so they are invisible ..?

Probably the dumbest question ever asked, but if you don't ask, you don't learn ..

Not dumb, and yes you can but not something one as a beginner would do.. in fact I have never don that or added a nut or other object. The issue is you have to stop the printer.. once you see how it works, you will understand why this is not and easy thing to do and have a good outcome. A work around is to make the void with an opening to insert the object after and the use adhesive to hold it.. For a Neodymium magnet to work best it must make contact.. even .4mm can be too much space. So you box would have cutouts for the magnets on the contact surface and you would just glue them in.. I have made push pin type holders for the magnets I reclaim from our sonicare tooth brushes.. Lexel worked very well so far.. epoxy does not always hold well but Lexel glues everything just have to wait for it to cure.. take a week to really cure complete.
    Don't cheap out on the printer it make the entire process more painful than needed.. say far far away from Ender product.. if you look through the post on here.. they are all you will see with nothing but problems.. The printer is a tool.. cheap tools don't work well or last long.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    Don't cheap out on the printer it make the entire process more painful than needed.. say far far away from Ender product.. if you look through the post on here.. they are all you will see with nothing but problems.. The printer is a tool.. cheap tools don't work well or last long.
    Thanks for reply. I have been talking to my nephew about it, he's pretty clued up on 3D printers and he has made some very tricky things. He seems to think what I want to do won't work.

As far as cheap printers go ... a wise old man once said "Good thing not cheap .. Cheap thing not good" I am looking on the 'entry level' side of things but as always, WHICH ONE ..?