Close

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter

Going to build my own printer

Alright, so I have pretty much all the info I need to build my own, except the program/code that will take the .x3g that comes out of RepG or Makerware and use it to move motors and stuff.

Anyone know where I can find this?

Sorry, I can't help with your question, but may I ask you what type of printer you plan on building? Details, details! We need Details!!

Custom design I made myself. Very simple, cheap to make, probably not very safe but it doesn't need to be.

I'm taking some Mech. Engineering classes over the summer for college credits and the final project is to build a working prototype of something that you designed. I made a simple design of a 3D-Printer that consists of what Makerbot makes theirs out of but sans the side panels and a built-in processor. It will need to be connected to a computer that is running a program that will tell the motors how to move based on the .x3g file you give it.

The end design should cost around $300-$450 and take me roughly two or three weeks to assemble.

It doesn't need to work well, or for very long. The concept of the project is to make something from scratch that works at all. I just need one -even partially- successful print to pass the class, it could catch fire or explode after that for all I care.

The newer versions of RepG have everything you need to slice and generate code for running your printer.

This topic is one that I believe should have its own thread folder on this site. Perhaps the folder could be called "Tech Tips and DYI".

I think that the thread I created regarding filament not being round, and that you moved to the General discussion would be best placed in the new folder for easier searching.

What do you think?

Old Man Emu

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    This topic is one that I believe should have its own thread folder on this site. Perhaps the folder could be called "Tech Tips and DYI".

I think that the thread I created regarding filament not being round, and that you moved to the General discussion would be best placed in the new folder for easier searching.

What do you think?

Old Man Emu

Sounds like a plan to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    The newer versions of RepG have everything you need to slice and generate code for running your printer.
    Thank you for telling me about programs that make .x3g files, and not ones that interpret them as motor movements.

I am confused by your sarcasm? The .x3g file is the file used for motor movements? You take a .STL file, run it through Rep G and it outputs the file. I take that file, put it on an SD Card and plug it into the Cupcake or Replicator and hit print? What interpreter are you looking for? If you are going to run reprap electronics, you want to use slic3r and pronterface.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    I am confused by your sarcasm? The .x3g file is the file used for motor movements? You take a .STL file, run it through Rep G and it outputs the file. I take that file, put it on an SD Card and plug it into the Cupcake or Replicator and hit print? What interpreter are you looking for? If you are going to run reprap electronics, you want to use slic3r and pronterface.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

I'm using an old notebook as my printer's processor.

Machinists call that "G Code", it has been around for 30+ years for CNC routers, milling machines and lathes and you can edit individual lines to customize it for your particular bot. We used to change speeds and temperatures for the particular "G" or "M" line by manually editing one or two lines. Now, with the latest versions and with Sailfish upgrades, it is done in the program itself. I guess it depends on what electronics you want to use? Years ago we actually build Mendels with the Makerbot motherboards so we could use the same software on all of our machines but now we just use the Ramps or RAMBo boards with excellent results.