Close

Holes not joining on top layer

Hey all,

My first post so hope this is the right place. My 3D printing career is only a week or 2 in and going well so far. However, whilst I am pleased with some diving cave markers I have been printing, I seem to have an issue on the holes where the wall layer is not joining to the rest of the print. The outside walls look fine and I am happy with the layer fill (feel free to comment if you do not think this looks good?) but hopefully in the pic, you can see where the 2 layers on the wall on the hole, are not joined and seem to be independent walls. Any idea why this is happening yet the rest of the print is joining nicely?

I am using an Ender 3 V2, glass treated bed, PETG, running 240'c hot end, 80'c bed, 0.4mm nozzle, 0.2mm layer height, have no fan at beginning of PETG print and up to 50% by the end of the print (could this be cooling it too quickly on top layer??). Have the printer in an enclosure (gets up to around 35'c in the housing which feels right) and I have my spools in sealed boxes and silica gell keeping moisture down to around 12-15% (feeds out of small hole). So I feel everything is right but something's not quite working on this. Here is a pic of my marker:

PXL_20210630_135938389.jpg

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thank you in advance!!!

Ben

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    marker looks fine - what do you think is wrong with it ?
    No discernible gaps anywhere.

If you think there are gaps, then increase the extrusion percentage by 5% and print again.
    Given that I cannot see any gaps, that should do it :-)

Hey Curious Aardvark (love the name!) - the only gap is between the 2 layers of the wall on the hole (weirdly the top hole is fine, just the bottom one and it is the same on all 4 I printed) - maybe not showing well on the pic but the 2 layers of the wall are not actually joined and sat side by side (not squided together like the rest of the layers). Just the holes. The outside wall and everything else I agree looks good (even if I do say so myself!).

When you say the extrusion %, you mean the flow? Never touched the flow but will definitely give that a go! Thank you for the idea.

Many thanks!

Ben