Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technologist

Cool Optimal humidity level for PTE-G???

Hello. I always printed with PLA, for the last 18 months. The for Christmas I was given a roll of PTE-G by OVERTURE. Looks like a nice quality package. First few prints came out great. Then issues started. Bubbles, stringing, lines not stick ing to one another. I found out how PTE-G is more likely to absorb moisture from air. Back into the vacume bag it went along with every desican pouch I could find. It also went back in box it came in. I have a dehumidifier running 24/7 and the humidity hovers around 51%-53%. Temps average mid 60*. After about a month packed away, I got out the PTE-G for 4 part, 8 hours each print job Im making. Im making a main locomotive wheel and had to split it into 4 identical sections. The first 2 sections printed flawlessly. The third failed big time. Was like it didnt stick to the bed and got cought on nozzle somehow. Im a purple glue stick of printer, so I cleaned off the Bed of all residual glue. Im going to leave the roll of PTE-G packed away for atlest 24-48 hours then try again with clened bed. This time was about 12-36 hours for the two good prints. Ive watched some youtube vids on useing a toaster oven to dry out filiments such as PTE-G, as the main hosehold oven is out of the question So my question is to those printing with PTE-G, what humidity is you room, or how do you handle PTE-G

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    My workshop is around 45-55% humidity.
    very cold in winter and hot in summer.
    As low as 10c in winter and as high as 30c in summer - but the humidity is always fairly stable for some reason.

I tend to just leave filament around on shelves. Almost never bother to store properly.
    And have yet to have any moisture related issues.

I don't use much pet-g - but the roll I currently have ongoing. is just stuck on a shelf.
    Been stored like that for over a year and the odd occasion I need something to withstand higher temps, prints absolutely fine with none of the little pops you get with 'wet' filament.

But it sounds like you need one of those storage/printing boxes that keep the filament properly dry.

Technologist
    CA My Print workshop is in a fully finished basement where temp averages 65-68F and with electric dehumidifier running 24/7, the humaditties level is 52-54%. It seemes this my first roll of PTEG HAS A "OUT OF PACKAGE" life of 24 hours. When I first opened new, it printed great for first 24-36 hours. Then had issues not sticking. globbing up on bed. And same settings used. I packed it back in vac bag came in with all the lil desicant pouches I could round up. folded bag over and placed back into box it came in. Flash ahead 2 months and I thought I'd try the PTEG again. I have a print job that is 4 sections at 8 hours each. First two printed great. Next day the third printed good. the last section I had to stop, was not sticking to the bed and funky looking strings. Back into bag/box for 24 hours. Clean bed. Try again. After doing some research on how to dry filament, I'm thinking getting a food dehydrator or filament dryer from SUNU (sp?) PLA I've only used for last year with no issues. I want to be able to use PTEG so I just received 3 rolls of the stuff. So Im gonna figure a system out

Technologist
    Well tried same roll again and print failed. it was to be expected. Desicant only good Ive read for maintaining moisture in a package, not to lower it. So in order to finish I have to either dry somehow this roll of PTEG or open up a brand new roll of PTEG. I would rather get the original roll kinks out before opening another.

food dehydrator is kind of a requirement.. Never had wet filament do the things you are talking about.. with wet petg you get bubbles.. not failed prints the I have ever run into. PETG that does not stick is normally a Z offset issue, because PETG can rip chunks out of a glass bed when removing the part..

Technologist
    Yes A food dehydrator is tops on my list. The moisture issue is what Im thinking. PLA runs great with no problems other than once every 5-6 prints I have to clean the glass bed. check bed level ,which I have done with the PTEG.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    not bed level - z-axis OFFSET.

IE: how far above the bed you start printing.
    Most slicers will let you adjust it.

So if i were you, I'd adjust it down (negative value) in increments of 0.05mm
    Until it either sticks or the nozzle gets blocked 'cos it's too close to the bed :-)

From what I've seen recently - particularly angus talking about bed levelling with folded sheets of paper. People are obviously calibrating way too high above the bed.
    Use a single thickness of unfolded printer paper.
    Why anyone would fold it is beyond me :-)

Also consider buying a sheet of cheap self adhesive pei.
    Soooo much better than pva glue.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12476816529...wAAOSwmypgww3L

For the dehydrator - you'll need one with an adjustable thermostat.
    The flying saucer ones will cook the filament and potentially let it change shape or even bond to itself.

Also pet-g doesn't like pva glue. That could be your problem maybe.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-02-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Technologist
    WHAT i BEEN USING IS eLMERS WASABLE STICK GLUE GOES ON PURPLE DRIES CLEAR. Has worked great for PLA, and THE first 3 eight hour PTEG prints. For bed leveling I use CHEPS gcode and ONE sheet of paper on a heated bed. I run a gcode of a PLA print with no problems. humiditry in print room is 53% right now. I had noticed earlier it was 49%. Just finished watching video of a guy made a dual roll heated dry box. Vairable temp heated pad, temp/humid guage, and can use the filament straigt out of the box. I also just spent 20 mins looking for same 11 litter storage container show in video. Only problem is it $20-$50 shipping from UK. Ill take a ride to local store to see if have something I can use

$1 vacuum bags is all you need to store Like these
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20350240556...Cclp%3A2334524

Technologist
    Airscapes I think I'll look on US Ebay LIL steep with $22 shipping, BUT THANK YOU ANYWAY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast