Close

Technologist

Da Vinci cartridges in the UK ?

I'm considering buying a Da Vinci, my first 3d printer, but I can't find too many retailers who sell the cartridges.
    Does anyone know of anywhere to buy them in the UK or where I could buy a cartridge chip reset device ?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
    I'm considering buying a Da Vinci, my first 3d printer, but I can't find too many retailers who sell the cartridges.
    Does anyone know of anywhere to buy them in the UK or where I could buy a cartridge chip reset device ?
    Don't buy one, the print quality is terrible and the carts will send you broke.

Check this out as an example,

I printed my darth vader (the white and painted one) on whats worth now a $700 odd flashforge printer, the White darth vader was printed on a da vinci....

have a look at the makes... I was going to buy a dav vinci, then I saw this print plus the price of filament carts, its rediculous.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:377505
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technologist
    Well, I found a couple more outlets for cartridges in the UK so I decided to take the plunge and ordered one yesterday.
    It came today and I printed off one of the samples tonight, the star shaped vase. I've got to say, I'm very impressed so far !
    I was expecting hours of calibrating and tweaking but not a bit of it. The instructions said just switch it on and start printing so that's what I did and it printed the vase perfectly first time. No sign of any warping or spider webs.
    I'll probably look into the cartridge chip reset hack at some point in order to use cheaper filament but for now, I'm very pleased with it thus far.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
    Well, I found a couple more outlets for cartridges in the UK so I decided to take the plunge and ordered one yesterday.
    It came today and I printed off one of the samples tonight, the star shaped vase. I've got to say, I'm very impressed so far !
    I was expecting hours of calibrating and tweaking but not a bit of it. The instructions said just switch it on and start printing so that's what I did and it printed the vase perfectly first time. No sign of any warping or spider webs.
    I'll probably look into the cartridge chip reset hack at some point in order to use cheaper filament but for now, I'm very pleased with it thus far.
    good stuff, I guess for your first machine the print quality is not so important. I'd like to see a photo, I am yet to see a print that looks good from one (and I mean no lines.. alot of the prints I see from it are very layered...

example...
    liones.JPG

Now I am not sure how your calibration works on the Da Vinci, but I do know your prints hopefully should look cleaner than the above.
    Last edited by Geoff; 08-05-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Technologist
    I would agree, that print doesn't looks so good. The Da Vinci has a resolution between .1 and .4mm, that looks about .4mm.
    I would say the print i did last night has far less noticeable lines although I'm not sure what settings were used at it was a sample on the SD card built into the printer. I'll upload a photo later.
    It has automatic calibration plus a manual option if the bed is too far off for it to self level. I haven't had to change anything so far.

edit : here's the star shaped vase I printed last night ....

image.jpg
    Last edited by scobo; 08-06-2014 at 02:32 AM.

You got to manually adjust your tray, but overal, I have done prints that are acceptable.
    look into acetone smoothing and get the XYZPRO kit from wctek.com/shop

Technologist
    I bought an Arduino Uno for £5.99 and made a cartridge resetter myself. Does the job well and I'm now using 3rd party filament with no issues.
    Calibrating has helped a lot with print quality and overall, I'm very pleased with the Da Vinci.