Close

Printed Nests - 3D Printed Bird Feeders

Here's a clever idea, 3D printed bird feeders that individuals living in big cities can create at home and feed birds with. The initiative behind a project called Printednest is to allow birds to return to the city, where they can find food with ease. In the early going there has been 36 registered Printednests across 6 different countries and 23 cities. More details on the idea behind the project, and how it works can be found here: http://3dprint.com/10735/printednest...int-bird-nest/

Check out a picture of one of these 3D printed nests below. Have you joined this initiative yet? Let's see some pictures!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Yeah seen those a few times on thingiverse,

I print Bird's nests all the time. Just Feed new Filament into your machine and leave it for 10 minutes, then come back.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    Funny, i just printed 2 of these.

Engineer
    here i took a pic of one of them. i sanded smooth and painted with some automotive single stage urethane. the antlers are plain black pla. the body is abs.

IMG_3232.jpg

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    here i took a pic of one of them. i sanded smooth and painted with some automotive single stage urethane. the antlers are plain black pla. the body is abs.

IMG_3232.jpg

Cool, lets hope other small critters dont like that Nést aswell

Looks awesome Jim. I love the shine on it. Should catch their attention lol

Czech Republic-based Printed Nest, a collective of architects, graphic artists, and designers, has shared their latest version of the brightly colored, 3D printed bird nests they hope will lure birds back into urban areas around the world. Since August this initiative really seems to have taken off. The egg- and basket-shaped nests can be printed using STL files downloaded from the MakerBot Thingiverse page created by Printed Nest or via the group’s official website, where you can also register your printed nest so that it appears on their world map with the, thus far, 50 other nests! Check out more details about Printed Nest in the full article: http://3dprint.com/35893/3d-printed-urban-bird-nests/

Below is a photo of a bird's nest from Printed Nest:

I am wondering if birds actually use them. According to locals, a painted bird house will gather no birds. Seems that birds tend to prefer unpainted wood. This is why I am curious if these will attract any birds.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    plus they are actually bird feeders not nesting boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyaru View Post
    To tell the truth, I also know that birds don't live in painted birdhouses because of the paint/lacquer smell. As usual, they inhabit only in natural wood constructions. If it would be just a bird feeder then maybe they will enter into it and only if it has no special smell. But in general, the idea is really good, especially if you have parrots or other birds at home, you can put such nests over your apartment so they could have a place to hide and play like in the wild, or put in it some special food like wild bird peanuts for them. We have 2 canaries at home and they always hide on the shelves with books. Unfortunately, they gnawed a hole in the books with their beaks and made a nest there. Such a thing would be a good solution for us that would protect our things.
    Where can I find some more feedback?