Close

Help with Painting Elegoo Resin Human Miniatures

Hi, so I went to my local hobby store, and when I asked the owner what paints would work with my resin, she seemed grumpy, and told me a blanket statement. Then I asked her if I need coating, and she just scoffed at it. So, that led me to youtube, which confirmed my insight:

Step 1: Sand to smooth
    Step 2: Prime
    Step 3: Paint

Here are my worries:

(1) I assumed that the only thing that needs sanding are the support nubs left when detaching it from the object. Should I sand the whole object? It is a 27cm figure of a women, so it's rather small.
    (2) What product/brand works best for resin?
    (3) What type of paint/brand works best for resin? Thank you.

Engineer-in-Training
    The Process used professionally is:-
    First clean off any sticky coating on the surface with Iso Propanol IPA,
    Harden the surface by exposing to UV light from a light box.

When this is done you can sand the surface if done any earlier the most likely result is clogged sand paper.

After that most solvent based paints will work fine especially Acrylics or epoxies. Beware of thinning too much with Acetone of MEK which can affect the surface of the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambo View Post

When this is done you can sand the surface if done any earlier the most likely result is clogged sand paper.

After that most solvent based paints will work fine especially Acrylics or epoxies. Beware of thinning too much with Acetone of MEK which can affect the surface of the model.
    Should I sand everything, or just the nubs? Also, is it unusual to see white hashmarks after you have sanded? If so, I assume that acrylics will cover it. Lastly, should I add a base coating before applying paint?