Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    you've got me all wrong i was not thinking of pizza just the red wine that goes with it !!!

It might have been a simple miscommunication because I'm ALWAYS thinking about pizza. :-)

Thanks for that info. I'll see about tracking down that software download.

I came across this youtube video that is only a month old and covers the exact version of the printer that I have. She was even missing the same parts that I was missing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbYVlajSF50

The reason I was asking about accessing the settings is because, in the video, she's making a number of changes to the settings to improve performance and so that the 3D Touch will work. If her setup is like mine, then mine isn't set up correctly either. BUT, just to be safe, I'm going to make copies of everything before I start adjusting things. BUT, first things first. I finished reconnecting the wiring last night, so today I'm going to check to see if I at least got rid of the error message that got me started down this path in the first place.

In the 2nd video about the printer, they recommend switching out the firmware for something called Marlin, which apparently fixed some problems in the original firmware. I've seen the name mentioned but otherwise not familiar with it. Not now, because right now I just want to see if I can get this thing doing something, but once I get some basic operations going, is a switch to Marlin a good idea?

Once again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Ron

Some Good News! I finished reattaching the last couple of wires, and powered up the unit just to see what would happen. No More Error Message!!! Well, that's somethin', anyway. Next I have to reattach the drive belts to the X and Y Axis motors, something that was described in great detail in the Youtube video I mentioned earlier. I'm also going to add the 3D Touch, and then give it another go. Not sure exactly how it's supposed to work because there are no instructions, but I'm guessing that there's a Youtube video around where someone has dealt with it. Beyond that, I have to figure out how to load filament the correct way and then figure out how to tell it to print something. The basic filament path is pretty clear, but there's a couple of components along the way that the filament goes through, so, something else to learn about. But, hey, progress, right? :-)Thanks again.Ron

Regards Prontiface. I did find something called Pronterface, which is part of the "Printrun Suite". Is that what I'm looking for?

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes I think so

Quote Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
    Yes I think so

Cool, thanks.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep thats' the puppy :-)

Do you think aurora could have sounded less excited if she tried lol

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    yep thats' the puppy :-)

Do you think aurora could have sounded less excited if she tried lol
    And that's after she said that she was "super excited" at the top of the video. :-)

But, I have to say, her assembly order made more sense than what the manual provided, and her explanation of the 3d Touch made it a lot clearer what was going on, compared to manual which didn't say anything about it at all.

I put the X and Y belts back on and ran another power on test. No error message; I didn't really expect one, but just to be sure. Next I'll add the 3d Touch. That's where it'll start to get exciting because that's where she started changing settings in the firmware. There's gonna be a whole lot a learnin' goin' on. :-)

Time to pop over to one of my other hobbies for awhile, where I'm teaching myself to machine metal using a lathe and a mill. I've been a woodworker for quite awhile, and it's different moving over to metal, where you're doing things to tolerances of a few thousandths of an inch. But, mostly, more power tools that want to kill you.

More 3D Printer fun tomorrow! :-)

Thanks again.

Ron

Engineer-in-Training
    If you want to save yourself a world of hurt forget the auto levelling and buy a sheet of borosilicate glass I have been using that for a year on the Ender 3 and ever since I got the Sapphire Pro. You don't need a terrain following system when there is no variation in terrain to follow.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah a flat bed is definitely rthe better option.
    The problem with the sapphire plus - is that it has 2 z-axis motors.
    So keeping the bed flat without any lateral slant is going to be difficult.
    In that case an 'auto levelling' system will actually help level a slanted bed.
    And given that even a few hundredths of a mm slant will make a difference - it's probably worth using the bl touch.

getting a print bed lined up properly on a dual z-axis printer is always going to be bloody difficult.
    That's the main reason, that if you don't need the extra build volume - the sapphire pro2 is the machine to go for over the sapphire plus.

Although how accurate those bl-touch clones are - who knows ;-)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast