Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

This is great info. Thanks. I need to dig into it deeper and digest it. I'm going to guess that the software running on the Sapphire Plus will be similar and have a similar update process? The installation video I have talks about converting the printer over to Marlin, which leads me to believe that what's on there now isn't Marlin. :-)

I guess I need something like "3D Printer Motherboard Concepts and Operation for Idiots" or something. I am actually drawing some pictures for myself right now, so at least I know what dots aren't connected for me, in my head, yet. :-) On one side, I've got the motherboard, a bin file and a configuration file, and on the other side, I've got the CAD and CAM software, along with the slicer. In the middle, there's a rat's nest of "other" software, like Pronterface, Visual Studio Code, Repetier, along with the occasional "and here a miracle happens". I am really thankful to have you and others around who have been kind enough to point me in the right direction. That, together with some Youtube videos, website articles, and a few books on the subject, are slowly getting me up to speed. Who know? Maybe one day I'll be able to help the next "me" that comes along.

Somewhere down in my basement I've got a circuit board that used signals from a parallel port cable to drive two stepper motors. It was an early attempt by someone to control telescope movements (probably 15 years ago or more). Most of that circuit board is now just one chip on these 3D printer motherboards. Always interesting to see how these things progress.

Thanks again.

And more progress, and of course, more debugging.So, the printer powers up correctly. I'm testing the home functions now. On the X-axis, I used a zip tie to lock the belt in place, and the zip tie is just big enough that it's blocking the extruder head from moving far enough to trigger the limit switch. So, I need to fix that with a smaller zip tie or something. For right now, I just extended the bit of metal on the frame that causes the x-axis limit switch to trigger, and so it's fine.But the Z-axis again...hmmmmmIf I use the "move" buttons to move the platform, both z motors spin. But when I use the home button, only the right side motor spins. I'm not using the z-axis limit switches right now because I'm trying to the use the BL Touch, and the BL Touch uses one of the sockets for the z-axis limit switches. I'm wondering if that might be doing something. But, you'd think that if something was causing the z limit on one side to trigger, both motors would stop running, right? Maybe I'll try unplugging the BL Touch just to see if that causes a change. Any other thoughts?NOTE: Added information. After I sent this originally, I did unplug the BL touch, and now both motors are spinning. So, I'm wondering now if there's a parameter someplace that I need to set to tell it not to use that socket for the z limit switch but to use it for the BL Touch instead? thanks.Ron
    Last edited by rongee; 06-28-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Technologist
    If you've got a computer plugged in, or can run and view Gcode through the screen, M119 will show the state of endstops.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_au View Post
    If you've got a computer plugged in, or can run and view Gcode through the screen, M119 will show the state of endstops.
    I haven't tried connecting a computer with one of the software tools like Pronterface yet, but I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks. Ron

Hi,

Quick update. I'm trying to connect my printer to my laptop, but Windows is reporting that it doesn't have a device driver for the printer. Sent an email to TwoTrees supports asking about the drivers, but they haven't been responding lately, so I'll do some other searching as well.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi how are you connecting to the printer are you using Prontface

Quote Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
    Hi how are you connecting to the printer are you using Prontface
    Today, I was able to connect my printer to my PC using Pronterface. Windows wanted a driver file, and it took awhile for me track down what it wanted, the CH340. Once I loaded that, I was able to connect using Pronterface, and ran G code suggested by Martin_au, and got this....

SENDING:M119
    Reporting endstop status
    x_min: open
    y_max: TRIGGERED
    z_min: TRIGGERED
    z2_min: TRIGGERED
    z2_max: open
    z_probe: open

I decided to go back to the dual Z-axis limit switches to see if I'd have any better luck there. I ran Pronterface while I tested homing on the X, Y, and Z axis. X and Y were fine, Z ran until it crashed into the limit switches and tried to keep going. Here is the Pronterface output. I have an MP4 video as well, but it looks like that file type isn't allowed on the forum. I've sent this to TwoTrees, but thought I'd ask here as well.Connecting...Printer is now online.>>> M119SENDING:M119Reporting endstop statusx_min: openy_max: openz_min: openz2_min: openz2_max: openz_probe: openecho:enqueueing "G28 X0"echo:Active Extruder: 0echo:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:Active Extruder: 0>>> M119SENDING:M119Reporting endstop statusx_min: TRIGGEREDy_max: openz_min: openz2_min: openz2_max: openz_probe: openecho:enqueueing "G28 Y0"echo:Active Extruder: 0echo:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:Active Extruder: 0>>> M119SENDING:M119Reporting endstop statusx_min: TRIGGEREDy_max: TRIGGEREDz_min: openz2_min: openz2_max: openz_probe: openecho:enqueueing "G28 Z0"echo:Active Extruder: 0echo:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:busy: processing>>> M119SENDING:M119echo:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:busy: processingecho:busy: processing[ERROR] Can't read from printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): call to ClearCommError failed[ERROR] Can't write to printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): WriteFile failed (WindowsError(5, 'Access is denied.'))

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345