Close

Thread: Stanley Model 1

Student

Stanley Model 1

Anyone know anything about the Stanley Model 1? Apparently made by Sindoh, needs a firmware update to accept Sindoh cartridges.
    If the update is done, are the cartriges refillable, or do you need to change the chip in the cart every time it runs out?

Somebody at work found this in the dumpster, it appears to be fully working, but has ABS filament loaded, and the demo models built into the machine are for PLA. It tries to work, but ends up making wads of string.

Thanks for any advice, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Jon

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it's actually made by sindoh and given the lack of availability of the cartridges and the whole 'locked in' setup - there is probably a reason it was dumped.

Other than that loooks like a decent machine and I'm sure if you look you can find a youtube video telling you how to get round the chipped cartridges :-)

What made me laugh was how they made a big thing of it being auto loading filament.

yeah 'cos heating the nozzle and pushing filament into it is sooo hard ;-)

If you get the sindoh slicer you can just tell it to use abs for a model.
    Given that it's an enclosed build volume and even has a carbon air filetr - it might not stink your room out !

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well it's actually made by sindoh and given the lack of availability of the cartridges and the whole 'locked in' setup - there is probably a reason it was dumped.
    Yes, that certainly was a problem with the Stanley version. Appaerntly, when Stanley got out of the business, they did the honorable thign and gave a firmware update that releases it from the Stanley cart requirement. Not clear if this update allows carts to be refilled.

What made me laugh was how they made a big thing of it being auto loading filament.

yeah 'cos heating the nozzle and pushing filament into it is sooo hard ;-)
    right!
    If you get the sindoh slicer you can just tell it to use abs for a model.
    Given that it's an enclosed build volume and even has a carbon air filetr - it might not stink your room out !
    So, Sindoh has their own slicer? I'll have to look. Cura doesn't seem to have a post for Stanley OR Sindoh.

Yes, I've been experimenting with the ABS that came in it, and there is no smell, which surprised me!

Thanks much,

Jon

sounds like you've got a decent machine for the right money :-)

Well if you don't need to renew the chips, refilling the cartridges should be pretty easy - and i bet you a dime to a water mellon that there's a youtube video for that as well :-)

You can't throw a 100,000 match underwater volcano on youtube without hitting at least 37 3d printer vloggers.

https://3dprinter.sindoh.com/support/downloads/3dwox1
    3d wox - try that. can't find a link to anything off the stanley website.
    Apparently when they discontinue a product - they immediately forget about all the people who already own one.
    Not good.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=24#manual
    there's a manual - curently looking through it for slicer info.
    Gotta say - that is one hell of a manual !

Can't find any links to download stanley 3d.exe.
    the software that came with it. But odds are it's just a rebadged version of the sindoh 3d wox.

well the good news is that the 3d wox program saves sliced models in g-code.
    so you can use pretty much any slicer.
    Thought maybe with the locked in filament that they'd use a propriatary file format as well.
    But no :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-06-2021 at 09:14 AM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    https://3dprinter.sindoh.com/support/downloads/3dwox1
    3d wox - try that. can't find a link to anything off the stanley website.
    Right, I had to download a set of add-on files to cura for the 3DWOX. I pulled a random model off thingiverse and sliced it, and then sent it to the printer. it complained about not in Stanley format, but built a perfect part!
    Apparently when they discontinue a product - they immediately forget about all the people who already own one.
    Not good.
    Well, they did issue a firrmware update to allow you to use Sindoh carts, I don't know if that has already been installed. Hopefully I can get it from somebody if I need it.
    Can't find any links to download stanley 3d.exe.
    the software that came with it. But odds are it's just a rebadged version of the sindoh 3d wox.
    Yes, it is.
    well the good news is that the 3d wox program saves sliced models in g-code.
    so you can use pretty much any slicer.
    Thought maybe with the locked in filament that they'd use a propriatary file format as well.
    But no :-)
    Well, I tried some using a prusa gcode file, and it barfed on that. Likey some differences in extruder and temp commands.

Thanks,

Jon

the 3d wox looks lime a decent slicer.
    Just make sure you switch to 'ADvanced' mode. Thatw ay you can control and change all the bits you need to change and control.

For files - your best bit is probably a facebook group - most of them have file repositories with firmwares.
    facebook groups are not as useful as you'd think, as they are mostly full of people wingeing and insisting that you have to rebuild the machine to get it to do anything.
    But the file repositorires are useful :-)