Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation General questions from a newbie

Hello,

I want to start 3D printing and get an entry level printer.

Now I wanted to ask which device you could recommend me, rather an Ender 3 v2, Anycubic Mega S or even a completely different printer?

Furthermore, I have the following questions:
    - I use as OS only Linux (Ubuntu) and I think Cura and Blender as software should be suitable here? (I have experience in the design sector so I think the start here should be easier).
    - What filament should be used eg for prints that need to withstand a little more heat such as in the car?
    - Which filament should be used for all other prints?
    - What equipment is needed in any case?
    - How much KG filament should I get to start with?
    - Is there anything I have to pay special attention to?

PS. I have read a lot of videos and tutorials on the Internet but I am an oldschool man and like to inform myself in forums directly at the source and users.

Thanks in advance.
    The message parsing here is very strange... so i put them in quote? What make i wrong here

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    - What filament should be used eg for prints that need to withstand a little more heat such as in the car?
    Pet-g is probably the best basic filament for heat resistant prints.

Pla

Thin metal scrapers, foam sanding blocks, micro files, acetone, print glue, a light penetrating lubricant.

1 kg red pla, 1 kg red pet-g, 1kg red tpu. Red filament is the easisest to use.

- Is there anything I have to pay special attention to?
    Everything !
    :-)

And as for pruinters - anything BUT an ender 3.

Thanks for your answer.

Why is the color red easyier to use? I don't like the color red ????

Also you don't like ender, so the anycubic would be great? The size mega s is enough for beginning?

And why the light penetrating lubricant?

Technologist
    Furthermore, I have the following questions:
    - I use as OS only Linux (Ubuntu) and I think Cura and Blender as software should be suitable here? (I have experience in the design sector so I think the start here should be easier).
    I'd recommend starting with PrusaSlicer over Cura. It also runs under Linux, but has a cleaner interface.

Up to ~70-80ºC, I'd recommend PETG
    Up to ~90-100ºC, then ABS (But it's annoying to print)
    Up to ~120ºC Nylon + Carbon Fibre (which can be quite easy to print, but will eat normal nozzles. Needs a hardened steel nozzle).

PLA

Get some decent allen keys and small pliers. I also like deburring tools (https://www.bunnings.com.au/irwin-po...-tool_p0097885). Some isopropyl alcohol (cleaning kind-99%, not hand washing kind). Some acetone. A spatula/scraper.

1kg of each of your preferred materials would be a good starting point. I don't agree that it has to be red. Most colours print pretty similarly, The only colour I'd avoid at first is white (Most whites print fine, but some, such as eSuns ABS+, can be difficult).

Most filament suppliers offer free shipping if you buy over a certain amount. That may be an incentive to buy a certain number of spools to start. In my case I generally buy them in batches of 4 to 8 spools, depending on where the free shipping begins.

As for Ender 3 or Anycubic. Both are decent entry level printers. Of the two I'd probably choose the Anycubic (I prefer bearings over v-slot wheels, and the dual Z-axis is a better mechanical system), but be aware that there is a lot more community support for the Ender.

Thank you, so ABS is a good middleway, here i think glue spray for the plate is needed?

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by omexlu View Post
    Thank you, so ABS is a good middleway, here i think glue spray for the plate is needed?
    Middle way is PETG. ABS can be a real pain to print. Smaller items can be ok, but as you get up to larger objects you will probably need to start looking at full enclosures with ambient temps of 30-60ºC inside the enclosure.

PETG also is easier to print, can I print that with any cube mega s? And PETG can resist the Temps in summer in a car?

Technologist
    Yes

Depends on where in the car, and where in the world. Northern Europe - no problems. On the dashboard of a car in the Australian desert - you may have problems with PETG.

Germany and cup holder, so I think PETG would be great for that?

Technologist
    Should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast