Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    The helmet is amazing serena !

But you do realise it's useless without the REST of the stormtrooper costume ? :-)
    i know right?! I posted a picture to show my friends and people said the same thing- when is the rest of the costume done.....I did see this though- how funny would that be?!!!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1d4...FY_m7Aod6yMALg

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

But you do realise it's useless without the REST of the stormtrooper costume ? :-)
    Just because I haven't posted it on thingiverse, doesn't mean I haven't finished it here sitting in STL files.... Can't give out all your easter eggs at once or people might get a belly ache Quite often I wait and see how many people download or print something to see if it's worth doing the rest, and when I saw the helmets start coming out, I thought ok, time for the rest of the suit.

I have been debating just dumping thingiverse and making my own site (which is another hobby and I havent made a site in a while) and starting to host them myself. The analytics on thingiverse are way out of whack and the place sort of gives me a really bad vibe... for many reasons..

Anyway, the storm trooper helmet.... You know what takes longer than modelling it? creating instructions and organizing all the parts.. it's so time consuming...

It's not just the model, or the cutting, its the trying to make it for all build platforms... SO...If anyone is lucky and reads this message and wants the full suit, you are welcome to email me at solidtrek@gmail.com I won't be hosting it on thingiverse for some time, or until at least all the instructions are completed.

BUT

you need to tell me what sort of printer you have and how big your build plate is.. I will cut the pieces to suit your machine. If you own a Flashforge, you are in luck because that's pretty much done already, or have a build plate of at least 20cmx14cm and can print to a height of no less than 12cm (I keep it a bit lower than max scale to allow for printers that go crazy at the max heights... like mine... )

Whats not finished:

The Boots. Don't ask. Pain in the A** Put them on the back burner to be re-visited at some point...
    Last edited by Geoff; 12-12-2014 at 04:32 AM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol love that stormtrooper onesie.
    I think that would be the way to go. Can't imagine printing out an entire set of stormtrooper armour.
    Or modelling it in cad !
    You have had a lot of free time, haven't you geoff :-)

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    Aha! I should have known you would have been working on the whole suit. You do seem to be a bit of an overachiever, eh? Haha!

I have been wondering about Thingiverse myself. I don't know if it's just a situation where it's gotten too big- since I wasn't using it when it was smaller. But I do feel that having a site like that being run by the makers of a certain brand of printer may be a conflict of interest just on principle. The "featured" model choices are questionable at times. I have found such amazing models (like the stormtrooper helmet!) that print perfect and I only found by specific searches but the ones that are given prominence on the home page are sometimes unprintable or require so much repair that I don't bother. Some are posted by people who didn't do the design work but they get all the credit. I do like the concept of MyMiniFactory in that they don't put any models up that they haven't printed. So it weeds out a lot of crap.

Personally I am working on designs I hope to sell in the future so I don't intend to post a lot of my personal stuff anywhere since I don't trust people not to take it and sell it. There's a lot on etsy and similar sites that is pretty blatantly ripped off. But I am glad that people do share their stuff so I can have fun printing things for my own collection that I didn't have to try to model on my own.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    You have had a lot of free time, haven't you geoff :-)
    12 months to be exact But too much time can be a bad thing as I found out, lost focus on certain projects and flip flopped between dozens more.. I'm glad to be back to full time work, helps me think during the day about what I need to do and then when I get home there is no crap going on, so yeah should actually pump more out not or at least more consistently.. but not on thingiverse as I will reply to Serena below...

Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
    Aha! I should have known you would have been working on the whole suit. You do seem to be a bit of an overachiever, eh? Haha!

I have been wondering about Thingiverse myself. I don't know if it's just a situation where it's gotten too big- since I wasn't using it when it was smaller. But I do feel that having a site like that being run by the makers of a certain brand of printer may be a conflict of interest just on principle. The "featured" model choices are questionable at times. I have found such amazing models (like the stormtrooper helmet!) that print perfect and I only found by specific searches but the ones that are given prominence on the home page are sometimes unprintable or require so much repair that I don't bother. Some are posted by people who didn't do the design work but they get all the credit. I do like the concept of MyMiniFactory in that they don't put any models up that they haven't printed. So it weeds out a lot of crap.

Personally I am working on designs I hope to sell in the future so I don't intend to post a lot of my personal stuff anywhere since I don't trust people not to take it and sell it. There's a lot on etsy and similar sites that is pretty blatantly ripped off. But I am glad that people do share their stuff so I can have fun printing things for my own collection that I didn't have to try to model on my own.
    Over-Ambitious is probably a better description lol if I said how many things I have sitting either half printed, half modelled... or bits of these and bits of that you would think I was quite mad... As I said to Curious above, I did have a considerable break from work... I worked pretty solid from the age of 18 to 38.. and was made redundant... so after 20 yrs, 2 kids and working my a** off... I decided a good break was in order.But... as I said, too much can be a bad thing.. after a year I actually just got so scattered with projects and a random sleep cycle I went back to full time work to get centered again and back to routine, and since i'm working this time around because I want to and not because I have to (which is always the opposite) i'm much more relaxed and good stuff seems to be coming out of it.

Thingiverse, I am loathing for all the reasons you stated above.. The featured items are very often from makerbot distributors, like LefabShop.. no matter how good or crap it is, they will still feature it to give them coverage and in turn try and raise sales for them... it's incest at the corporate level.

Also, model thieves are a big pain... but I won't go into them, not worth the rant

I have alot of content that is original that I do wish to sell also, hence the reason for getting my own site organised. I have become a little overwhelmed by all the CGTrader, Pinshape, thingiverse.. blah blah... so many 3D marketeers now it is insane.. and this is NOW... imagine how bad it's going to be in a year or two..
    Last edited by Geoff; 12-13-2014 at 02:49 AM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234