Close

Blend to Stl failing .

Hello i just joined 3d printing have done few prints not very successful but getting there . However this is not about printing it self this thread is about 3d modeling , i am trying to convert blend file to stl .but i am getting some weard stuff going on and not sure why .
    this is blend file :

i downloaded this file from cgtrader and only one format was blend . so i open it with blender and exported as STL
    how ever when i open with chitubox and try to set up for printing model its self looks bugged or something :

can someone tell me if iam doing something wrong when converting or does blend file need some adjustments to be able to convert property and print ?

Staff Engineer
    If you created the file in Blender, you would want to use the 3D printing features built into the program. This would check for manifold surfaces (water-tight) and coincidental edges, points and faces, all of which will cause problems in a slicer and 3D printer. If you didn't create the file, you can attempt to contact the creator, but that doesn't always work well.

There are useful facilities for correcting damaged 3D models, although the model you present looks pretty rough. Windows 10 has a free download called 3D Builder which does a surprising job of cleaning up and repairing damaged models. You might consider to give that a shot.

If the model is a free download, consider to provide a link and I'll consider to download it into blender to see if my limited skills can clean up the damage. Alternatively, send it in a direct message and I'll do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    If you created the file in Blender, you would want to use the 3D printing features built into the program. This would check for manifold surfaces (water-tight) and coincidental edges, points and faces, all of which will cause problems in a slicer and 3D printer. If you didn't create the file, you can attempt to contact the creator, but that doesn't always work well.

There are useful facilities for correcting damaged 3D models, although the model you present looks pretty rough. Windows 10 has a free download called 3D Builder which does a surprising job of cleaning up and repairing damaged models. You might consider to give that a shot.

If the model is a free download, consider to provide a link and I'll consider to download it into blender to see if my limited skills can clean up the damage. Alternatively, send it in a direct message and I'll do the same.
    Thank you for your reply i will check that software you mentioned . also here is the link from where i downloaded it
    https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-mod...a-8e46d74148fd
    its free but only blend format no stl so thats why i tried to just convert also i havent been working with blender at all so have no idea on how to fix those issues my self , as in blender model looks decent and its only messes up when i export to stl

Staff Engineer
    I don't have an account with cgtrader so I can't download the free model, nor do I want to add my name to another commercial operation. If you attach the file here, I'll pull it that way.

Staff Engineer
    I've downloaded the model. Blender's 3D checker indicates 275 intersecting faces and I'm not so much a blender user that I can fix it within blender. When I load it to Meshmixer just to see the model, it contains too many triangles to load and crashes my computer, which is reasonably powerful.

I was able to load the file into Meshlab and used the filters to reduce the number of faces/triangles to 250,000, from a starting point of over two million. This allowed Meshmixer to load the model for analysis:

nissan MM check.jpg

This picture shows zebra stripes, which represent reversed normals. These are faces which are "inside out" in that the surface is pointing inward. 3D printer slicers sometimes will tolerate such errors, but it's just bad form to have them. The blue and red markings are other error types.

Flipping it over in Meshmixer shows us that the wheels are zero-thickness surfaces, which of course, will not print.

nissan MM check 2.jpg

I've attached the STL file with the mesh reduced, which would allow you to manipulate it more easily, but I don't have hope for this one.

It's one of those things that the creator manages to make free by not doing all the work necessary to turn it into a 3D printable model. He leaves the work up to the downloader. Either one becomes more proficient at Blender or the model doesn't get printed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

yes i understand now , that software you said also says that there is alot thin parts witch wont be printed . so i assume i have to give this up or spend some time learning blender thanks for help anyways