Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Staff Engineer
    Ideamaker has tons of profiles for various printers. Somewhere in this great big interweb thing I read that it's a clone of Simplify3D, but with more recent improvements. I paid a bunch a bucks for S3D and probably won't advance to the next (paid) update unless ideamaker doesn't build a profile for the Sigma.

I think one of my references to flat was misconstrued as level. I tried to clarify that in a later post.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by minneapolis-matt View Post
    can you elaborate a bit more on the advantages that an owner of a genuine Prusa i3 MK3 will enjoy over the TENLOG?

I just spent $441 on a tenlog and the Prusa is probably outside my budget, but I'd love to better understand how to directly compare these machines, especially if my purchase falls through and I find myself printerless and saving long term for a prusa instead.

Furthermore "the slightest ripple in your work surface" scares me a bit. How can any home owner be sure that *any* surface in their home meets that standard? is it good enough to pivot the old bubble level around 360 degrees on the table top and verify it doesn't stray from centered anywhere or do I need something laser flat within 0.01mm along the entire printer foot print *and* perfectly level besides?
    Where'd you find it for $441? The link in your previous post at amazon is $639.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rkf_bomb View Post
    Where'd you find it for $441? The link in your previous post at amazon is $639.

sorry, this thread and my dual extruder thread were at x-posts most of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by minneapolis-matt View Post
    well...I am now awaiting the arrival from Amazon (seller Amazon Warehouse) of a:

TENLOG TL-D3 Pro Independent Dual Extruder 3D Printer, 300 Degree High Temperature Nozzle,Silent Mainboards TMC2208 Drive,600W Power Supply,Support PVA TPU ABS PLA Nylon,11.8''x11.8''x13.8''
    Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC

$441.29
    Condition: Used - Acceptable - Large cosmetic imperfection(s) on top, front or sides of item. Accessories may have cosmetic damage. Item will come repackaged.

I am naturally worried about the "Large Cosmetic imperfection" turning out to somehow be more than "cosmetic" but I couldn't care less about purely cosmetic damage and I definitely needed to hold costs down to avoid provoking my wife. Here is hoping the replacement has enough superior functionality vs the voxel that I have no regrets about the hopefully purely cosmetic issues and the extra $41 and change in expense.
    The link will link to the "new" version of the tenlog that Aardvark originally linked for me but I found the $441 version and the description I quoted here from a "New and used from" link that Amazon will include for returns of an item that are available with the prices available listed after the "from"

My $441 purchase is surely a gamble as it is the lowest amazon category "acceptable" and while the amazon warehouse team described the damage as "cosmetic" in some cases customers have reported that such "cosmetic" damage rendered products inoperable. In which case I'll exercise my Amazon prime free return option and be back to square one. But for now I am crossing my fingers and hoping that the damage really is just something like a missing manual and some scratches on the aluminum frame.

additionally I found that it appears that at the moment the same printer is available from tenlog direct for $545 new plus $10 US shipping so I hope that may be an option for me in the event that my gamble is too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    The TENLOG printer is an interesting one in that it has IDEX configuration. I have a Sigma R16 which is also independent dual extruders. The mirror and duplication modes cut multiple prints quantity times in half. The TENLOG is a bit better than my Sigma in one regard; the direct drive extruders make it superior to the Bowden tube on the Sigma. Even though dual extrusion can be "fun" and useful, it's something that doesn't get as much use as I had expected and dual material support printing is somewhat problematic. I'd consider the TENLOG as a second printer and the genuine Prusa i3 MK3 as the best first printer. Regardless which printer you select, ensure that you are assembling it on a fully planar surface. The slightest bit of ripple in your work surface will haunt you. We assembled the Prusa i3 MK2 on a plastic topped work table and chased alignment for a while which would have been solved had we assembled on the marble desktop a few meters away! The MK3 eliminates a lot of the alignment variables as it uses well machined and squared components.
    Agree with that, anyway Sigma is a wise pick. But for the last 2 months they getting expensive, don't you think so??
    Last edited by FrankyMC; 04-08-2022 at 06:11 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    not just prices rising - components are starting to become rarer.

There is a current global semi-conductor shortage that is likely to last for at least a couple years.

On top of that you've had an unprecented global demand for all things electronic, as people in lockdown keep buying things they don't really want or need.
    3d printers being one of these.

Now the real problem is that in times of shortage, many manufacturers have a tendency to take faulty goods, re-package them and send them back out into the world. And they keep repeating this until the item is not sent back and they get to keep the money.
    Given that many machines would need to be sent back to china - it's a good strategy for the companies.
    But a lousy one for the buyer.

So not only are 3d printers going to be getting increasingly expensive - they are also going to be getting increasingly unreliable.
    Oh joy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12