Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Student

18V battery adapter

Hey,I need a little help, i want make adapter from milwaukee 18v tool to other brand battery. I am weak at 3d modeling, my skills are basic tinkercad skills, but I found milwaukee m18 battery model. Battery looks like:milwaukee-akumulator-litowo-ionowy-m18-b2-18v.jpgI need to isolate this red parts, but i failed in fusion 360... Can someone give me this in 3 parts (in stl)? Here is m18 battery 3d model:https://grabcad.com/library/milwaukee-m18-battery-1

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    looks like you need someone au-fait with fusion 360 - so that rules me out :-)

No format there I can use.

Student
    There is a .step file in the link but if it help i can export full project to:

List of file types which can be exported from Fusion 360:
    • Autodesk Fusion 360 Archive Files (*.f3d).
    • Autodesk Inventor 2018 Files (*.ipt).
    • DWG Files (*.dwg).
    • DXF Files (*.dxf).
    • FBX Files (*.fbx).
    • IGES Files (*.igs *.iges).
    • OBJ Files (*.obj).
    • SAT Files (*.sat).
    • SketchUp Files (*.skp).
    • SMT Files (*.smt).
    • STEP Files (*.stp *.step).
    • STL Files (*.stl).

Staff Engineer
    I'm not rocket scientist when it comes to Fusion 360 but some things I can handle okay. Would you consider to upload to this forum the .f3d and .stl files, perhaps also the .stp/.step files? I don't want to add yet another account (grabcad) and it won't let me download without signing in.

Student
    in attachment .zip
    (f3d, fbx, ipt, obj, step)

f3d and step files from link above,

other files are my exports
    Attached Files Attached Files

Staff Engineer
    I've been able to confirm why you've had a problem in Fusion 360. The F3D file as well as the OBJ file confirms that there are only two pieces involved in the model. The main body is one piece, including the red forward side "buttons." The other red locking segment is the other body which would slide out on its own and not perform as one might expect.

Thingiverse has a few Milwaukee M18 postings, but I do not know your objective, and cannot determine suitability for your project. The files you've shared will not perform in the manner indicated.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    The main body is one piece, including the red forward side "buttons." The other red locking segment is the other body which would slide out on its own and not perform as one might expect.
    Ohh... I thought that the buttons could be easily isolated from this model. Anyway thanks, i will try "separate" it in tinkercad.
    I know the locking segment won't work, but I'm going to remodel it slightly so it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    Thingiverse has a few Milwaukee M18 postings, but I do not know your objective, and cannot determine suitability for your project. The files you've shared will not perform in the manner indicated.
    I know, but nothing fits my expectations...

Staff Engineer
    The way I understand the mechanics of the battery latch assembly, there is an interconnect between the red forward side buttons and the red aft latch sections. I would also expect a separation between the left and right sides, which is currently not in effect with the red aft latch sections. If you can locate any 3D model file which accurately represents that separation and interconnection, regardless of the rest of the model, it would be useful to determine the modification required on your current model.

Staff Engineer
    UPDATE: I'm working on splitting out the forward red buttons as a separate body. I'm running into complications using Boolean Intersection (errors from F360) and hope to make adjustments to my train of thought to enable the process. From what I've found, it would be quite challenging to split out the button segment in Tinkercad. Just as the aft latch structure is a single part, the current approach is to make the button structure a single part. This would make it easier to segment each of those in a more controlled manner, allowing for full function as desired. It might take me a day or two to get my head on straight.

m18 main body.jpg
    The above is a screen capture of the F360 window showing the primary body.

m18 internals.jpg

This one shows the main body ghosted with the single piece latch assembly previously constructed and the newly constructed single piece button assembly. As you can see, there are no fillets in the new section. I'm working on figuring out how to use Boolean Intersection without angering the program.

Staff Engineer
    I'm making a bit more progress and have run into a smaller snag, but have posted a request for assistance to Reddit.

m18 rim shot.jpg

I've been able to remove the forward button assembly and effectively duplicate it as a separate body. This action left a hole in the middle of the main body and converted it to a collection of surfaces, no longer a solid. As such, attempting to put walls on the tunnel has been a failure, but I'm hopeful the Reddit-world will have an answer.

Of course, this is only part of the objective. One would expect the left forward button and the left aft latch to be joined and to be independent of the right button and latch. Additionally, I'd expect there would be provision for a spring or two in the center of the assembly.

But wait, there's more. The above portion is not likely to be impossible, once I learn more of the program and get the tunnel vision resolved. The impossible part comes when one expects to 3D print this model.

Knowing that it is not practical to do so, I would appreciate a few words from @inspire in order to better understand the objective, at least for this model in this state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast