Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

opinion about Twotrees Sapphire plus 1.1 and tronxy x5sa pro

I have to buy a corexy printer. Which one is better?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well purely from a build qualoity point of view - the sapphire plus.
    It has a more rigid frame and actual linear rails.
    To convert it to a direct drive extruder is a simple job that involves a small printed bracket (it's the same extruder/hotend setup as my sapphire pro2)

The tronxy has a slightky larger build volume, uses metal guide wheels and not linear rails.
    It should be fairly easy to convert to direct drive - but you'd have to ask autowiz - although be prepared to be told it needs a total rebuild :-)

But as the speed of a corexy - and any other 3d printer for that matter. Is largely down to the solidity and rigidity of the frame and how straight and true the extruder carriage runs , I would personally go for the sapphire plus.

i think to go with sapphire plus only for the proprietary firmware of tronxy...in addition to linear rails.
    Last edited by shakle; 04-22-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Technologist
    Better - Sapphire Plus, with one exception.

X5SA Pro is a bit of a lucky dip. Sometimes you get a good one, and sometimes...not so much. However, if you plan on making significant upgrades to the machine, then the open frame design of the X5SA may make it 'better'.
    If you just want a machine that will print with minimal upgrades, then the Sapphire is a better bet.

Aardvark, I'm pretty sure both the OSG rails (TronXY), and the MGN12s are generally considered rails. They are just very different styles. I also doubt there would be any significant differences between the two in usage.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by shakle View Post
    i think to go with sapphire plus only for the proprietary firmware of tronxy...in addition to linear rails.
    You can switch the Tron to Marlin. It's done via the microSD card. Keep in mind though, lucky dip. In my case the card reader would not work properly.

i see that tronxy X5SA v24 (not Pro) is at 229€.. I am tempted to purchase... what do you think considering the price?

Technologist
    I guess that depends on what you want from a 3D printer? If you want to do 3D printing as a hobby, then the X5SA would be a pretty fun machine to start with. If you want it as a tool, where you can go up, hit a button and walk away, then the final cost would likely be a fair bit more than that.

Engineer-in-Training
    I don't know anything about the Tonxy machine but after more than a year using an Ender 3 pro doing commercial prototype work for my company I have just purchased a sapphire pro 2. For the last year the Ender has worked perfectly once I had learned how to use it ! but the sapphire is much more professional in design and construction and without the Acrylic case it only cost me £11 more than the Ender.Having there was quiet a lot of assembly to do with very sparse pictorial (Ikea like) instructions and when first completed it was dead on arrival and only functional after a faulty extruder stepper drive module was diagnosed and replaced! Despite that it is well worth the price

I have to print big lecter. I think to go with tronxy X5SA Pro.. the largest size of print volume makes me lean for it. What are the upgrades to do?

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by shakle View Post
    I have to print big lecter. I think to go with tronxy X5SA Pro.. the largest size of print volume makes me lean for it. What are the upgrades to do?
    Depends on what you end up with.

My X5SA Pro came with a busted card reader, so my upgrade path was a lot more urgent than I'd intended.

I did these changes:
    Critical changes (so I could get the job done)
    • Replaced print surface with magnet/PEI flex sheet (bolted down so no springs)
    • Replaced board with SKR 1.4Turbo + 2209s + TFT 35
    • Replaced clone bowden titan extruder with direct drive E3D titan + V6
    • Marlin firmware running sensorless, UBL, individual Z, and linear advance.

Long term reliability and QOL changes:
    • Mic 6 bed + 500w keenovo heater + graviflex magnetic base (still to do)
    • Meanwell 600W power supply (still to do)
    • Gates belts
    • Toothed idlers and reinforced idler mounts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast