Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Student
    Rigged adapters so I could switch the nozzle heater and hotend thermistor at the board as suggested. Turned it on, no change in the readings. After watching for a minute or so to see if the nozzle temp would go down, I set the temp to about 50; as soon as I pressed the display button, got the MAXTEMP error. Tried a new nozzle heating element, it showed the error, both in the correct and reversed positions. Then used a new thermistor, cylindrical style, turned it on, and the temp showed normal!! (The wires at the 'bead' were bare.) Stopped there to reconnect wires and re-thread the thermistor the loom. I'll make a fresh start from scratch to do things properly later for a REAL check-out! Another thank you!
    PS--Looking to the future. why didn't I check those in the first place, without having to involve you? Simple lack of experience and knowledge, I suppose....

Technologist
    What do you mean by rigged adaptors? Aren't they using similar plugs? Can't you just swap the plugs at the board so the bed thermistor goes to the hotend thermistor port and vice versa?

Anyway, sound like you solved it - short at the thermistor bulb. That doesn't solve the raise-stop-raise you noted in the original post, but that may have simply been a loose connection, which you have now reseated. Hopefully your E3 is now working and we can look at what's going on with the 4.2.7 board.

One last thing, you mentioned two different thermistor types, cylindrical and bulb. How is your hotend setup? Does this mean you're out of action waiting for a suitable thermistor.

Student
    Ahhhh, another shortcoming glaringly exposed! I'm confusing part-name terminology. A graphic example of how difficult it must be for Good Samaritans to patiently stay the course with boob noobs. No, thankfully I have several of each thermistor styles. Continued.....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol
    we could have an interesting discussion of the 'freedoms' that are being 'lost'.
    But in a world where people happily install multiple programs on their phones that track their every move and report back to faceless corporrations in foreign countries. And the average supermarket knows more about your lifestyle and eating habits than you do yourself -
    I'm not sure your main enemy is the governemnt - but a simple lack of perspective.

As far as the right to bear arms goes. well that was put into american law in an era when the governemnt could not afford a standing army and they were happy to just use an armed population. In our current society - it has no real meaning.

The problem is that most people have no grasp of history and absolutely none of the amount of information being held on them by commercial corporations.

But hey, blame the politicians for the 'freedoms' people are happily giving away to profit making corporations. No government EVER made a profit :-)

But anyway, how's the printer going ?

Student
    Hello once again, Aardvark! Somehow, I felt we had passed the political phase after your bitterly emetic dismissal in your last response. While I am admittedly lacking in 3D printing skills, I assure you I have at least adequate knowledge of American history, freedoms, rights of free speech and arms bearing as it applies to me as an American citizen, to the point that unsolicited opinions by non-citizens are, well, boorish, if not rude. I have no ax to grind with you and am simply voicing opposition here to your unfounded assumptions that my ideas of freedoms, rights and perspectives are deficient, requiring a lecture. I happily accord you my full respect as a 3D expert and moderator and am very grateful for your help in furthering my meager 3D knowledge.My printer is being about as obstinate as I am but small advances are being made with the patient help of Martin_au. Confidence is growing a bit but I have so far to go. Thank you for your inquiry!

Student
    Martin and Aardvark, here's a large advance, at least for me! I replaced the 4.2.7 board and did all that is normally done at this point, plus paid very, very close attention to all things related to selection and installation of the proper firmware--- and it finally worked. Actually did a 1 hour print which came out perfectly, including new entries on the display panel. A small accomplishment really, but a stellar achievement for me, after such a ' long and winding road'! The only identifiable fixes were the broken thermistor lead and, I am sure, the correct firmware plus tightened connections, etc. What kept me going was the support and advice you lavished on me--absolutely essential. Thanks so very much! We'll see how well I handle my next disaster. Keep up the good work; it means a lot!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234