Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Student

E3Pro auto home malfunctioning

Relative noob with E3Pro that was working until today when print about 1/4 to 1/3 completed became unstuck with resulting giant bird-nest. Then I levelled the bed as usual, print began, then nozzle just went into bed. Sliced new stl in Cura with standard Cura profile and Chep's good profile also, then did complete levelling routine with Zstop adjustment, etc. Now when I auto home the carriage will raise a bit, move slightly to the right, raise about 5-6 mm and stop without going back down to the normal position ready for levelling. No BLTouch, etc installed. Patience and knowledge(!) exhausted! Any ideas short of trashing it? Have been considering replacing with a new 4.2.7 silent board and possible firm-ware up-date--is it time for that? Sort of a wuss way out but for this I'm no t very macho. Appreciate any/all help!Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

Technologist
    Is it possible your z-limit switch is toggled on permanently?

Student
    Thanks Martin, good point but no, I don't think so. To test, I just tried auto home by holding down the z-limit switch and then with the switch released. The carriage did it's same weird moves both times. Honestly, I don't know if that is even a valid test! Thanks, you just won 3 more free tries to help me out!!
    Last edited by phranch; 04-14-2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: remove errata

Technologist
    If it’s an issue in the switch/wiring though, then toggling it may not help. Do you have an option to replace the switch/wiring?

Student
    OK> I had another micro-switch but not the wire harness. Installation did not change anything unfortunately. Straw grasping, might it be something in Marlin that has flipped out? At my level, messing with Marlin is pretty much verbotten plus I don't even know anyone with a 3D printer to talk with! (Very rural area!) Everything I know is sourced by reading and a bit from fora like this one and a lot from You Tube! I find that complicated issues, like so many in 3D printing with all its variables are so difficult to explain clearly and understandably that it is hard to reliably get help from the foras I visit. I believe many people are happy to share their knowledge but time constraints set a barrier. Messaging back and forth to even get an inkling of how much the person knows, what has been modified, tried, etc, etc, requires such time as to be a real TASK. Like explaining how to make a wheel to a Neanderthal. Life is like that. It's just the way it is; I have no problem with that and just keep plugging. Minds me of the first printer maker--who did he turn to when it failed for the 13th time?I just made the decision to go ahead and get a 4.2.7 MB. Maybe that will solve my issue(s). We'll find out if the more-money-than-brains approach will work! Thank you so much for your interest and willingness to help. It looks well on you!
    Last edited by phranch; 04-15-2021 at 12:23 PM. Reason: remove errata

Technologist
    Generally no. Marlin doesn't generally change anything unless you tell it to. More likely it's a short in the wiring.
    One thing that may be able to help is if you're running Marlin, you can use M119 to look at what's going on with the endstops and make sure they are working. You may need to plug a computer in to see the results.

https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M119.html

Student
    I unfortunately have an innate aversion to programming languages like Fortran, Cobol, C++ dating back many years. Early on I didn't have time or reason to invest or confidence to begin the learning process, and today at age 83, I am at an even worse position! I checked out your included link and know I can at least accomplish that without trashing the works! I'll read up on how to connect my PC, etc, and get started. Thank for hanging in with me!

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×
    Last edited by phranch; 04-16-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: remove errata

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    nable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    who's ginger ?
    Ah okay - looks like an add-on grammar checker.
    Seems weird that it would keep inderting messages into your posts :-)

One quick thing you can try.
    Most firmwares have an option for reset to factory defaults.
    That is usually worth trying before anything more complicated.
    Should be an option you can access through the control panel.

Failing that - simply reflash the firmware you are already using.

It's clearly registering the end stops - so that's not the issue.

Give it a go before the new board arrives :-)

Student
    Ahh--the calming voice of reason. Obviously I should have known and done that and I will. That Ginger thing is another embarrassment with some unknown cause. Happens on this site every time but I'm able to edit it out USUALLY, which I'll attempt again. You'll see if I'm successful. Thanks for your suggestion!
    I've edited 4 times, no change!Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    Last edited by phranch; 04-18-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: remove errata

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    wouldn't worry about it - and at least you're grammar will be good :-)

It has to be said that this forum does do weird things fairly regularly. one too many advert add-ons maybe ;-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast