Close

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Petmagnet13 View Post
    As I was disassembling my extruder, I seemed to have lost both of the small spacers. Are these important for printing? If so does anyone know what size they are?
    The Small spacers are simply to stop the screws for the fan going in too far, without the spacers I feel you may not be able to get the tension required to keep the stepper motor in place.

As for the build plate - trust me, Kapton tape is the absolute best for this machine. If you are not able to print raftless and get a nice shiny surface and have it stick 100%, your build plate is still not levelled properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    The Small spacers are simply to stop the screws for the fan going in too far, without the spacers I feel you may not be able to get the tension required to keep the stepper motor in place.

As for the build plate - trust me, Kapton tape is the absolute best for this machine. If you are not able to print raftless and get a nice shiny surface and have it stick 100%, your build plate is still not levelled properly.
    It wouldn't surprise me if my build plate isn't leveled properly. I tried many times but it wasn't working too well. I tried adding the painters tape and that worked, so I've been doing that. Any tips on leveling perfectly would be much appreciated.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Petmagnet13 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if my build plate isn't leveled properly. I tried many times but it wasn't working too well. I tried adding the painters tape and that worked, so I've been doing that. Any tips on leveling perfectly would be much appreciated.
    sure, I recommend using this from thingiverse..

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:215386

it will print on all important sections, the reason I like it because its thin and doesnt waste filament. What you do is watch the entire print and see where it is not printing correctly (ie you get squiggly lines, meaning the nozzle is too far from the plate) things like that

Quote Originally Posted by MrWayne View Post

1: Replace the Thumb nuts under the heat bed with M3 wing nuts. Your fingers and thumbs will love you for it...!!

2: Level the bed often. This will ensure you have a good base to work from. I designed a 100mm x 100mm square print that is 0.4mm high. This in theory will only print two layers using a resolution of 0.2mm. You can watch the plastic extrude, and can adjust the bed on the fly. Lumpy lines means the bed is too high. Plastic means the bed is too low. Aim for an even clean extrusion. You will see it...!!!!
    Is the wingnut the M3 x 0.5 thread? I'm very interested to do this but haven't found a local store with these tiny wingnuts.

Would there be a benefit to leveling the platform while its hot? Seems this would be more accurate while printing but obviously there is some risk involved.

Do you guys generally see a lot of variation in bed adjustments after printing? I'm assuming this all caused by vibration and heat-cycling of the plastic base that the bed is mounted to?

I came across this forum looking for help. When I received my Creator, I was able to put everything together, level the build plate and do the test prints. Now I am ready to print my own object, ReplicatorG-0040 WILL NOT connect to the printer. I have selected The Replicator Dual for Machine Type (Driver), but when I go to Connection (Serial Port) it shows No serial ports detected. When I do Rescan serial ports, I get in red at the bottom "Couldn't find a port to use!" I have downloaded Python 2.7.6 as I have Windows 8. Now I am stuck. I would appreciate any help.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by TALSCTSV View Post
    I came across this forum looking for help. When I received my Creator, I was able to put everything together, level the build plate and do the test prints. Now I am ready to print my own object, ReplicatorG-0040 WILL NOT connect to the printer. I have selected The Replicator Dual for Machine Type (Driver), but when I go to Connection (Serial Port) it shows No serial ports detected. When I do Rescan serial ports, I get in red at the bottom "Couldn't find a port to use!" I have downloaded Python 2.7.6 as I have Windows 8. Now I am stuck. I would appreciate any help.
    You have installed the specific drivers for this machine?

You have installed the specific drivers for this machine?
    Geoff,
    Thanks for the response. I was able to finally get where I could print from SD card. I printed my first part and looks like I will have to make some major adjustments. I went to update drivers for the Creator and I got this message:
    "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
    Mighty Board, S3G via Serial
    The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information."

Thanks,
    Daniel

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Geoff,
    Thanks for the response. I was able to finally get where I could print from SD card. I printed my first part and looks like I will have to make some major adjustments. I went to update drivers for the Creator and I got this message:
    "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
    Mighty Board, S3G via Serial
    The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information."

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Ok, the mightyone is the firmware.

I personally have not had to update my firmware, although its not a tough process, but they shipped mine out with a decent version and it works fine. I am from the old school of thinking, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Nearly 2 years on and I have been able to produce some great prints from the stock firmware.

What you need is the specific USB driver for the machine, which is all in the replicator G package, check this page out and follow the guide..

http://replicat.org/installation-windows

Once you have ReplicatorG and Python etc installed (which should all be included in the one installer now) and you can successfully use Replicator G to print something, you can go and download Makerware which is ALOT friendlier to use for the initial learning process, then move onto replicator G where you have alot more control. Or start with Replicator G and do it backwards, up to you really I didn't know I could use makerware with my machine, so I was using replicatorG for ages, then I gave Makerware a go and works like a charm.
    Last edited by Geoff; 04-04-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Ok, the mightyone is the firmware.

I personally have not had to update my firmware, although its not a tough process, but they shipped mine out with a decent version and it works fine. I am from the old school of thinking, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Nearly 2 years on and I have been able to produce some great prints from the stock firmware.

What you need is the specific USB driver for the machine, which is all in the replicator G package, check this page out and follow the guide..

http://replicat.org/installation-windows

Once you have ReplicatorG and Python etc installed (which should all be included in the one installer now) and you can successfully use Replicator G to print something, you can go and download Makerware which is ALOT friendlier to use for the initial learning process, then move onto replicator G where you have alot more control. Or start with Replicator G and do it backwards, up to you really I didn't know I could use makerware with my machine, so I was using replicatorG for ages, then I gave Makerware a go and works like a charm.
    Geoff,
    Thanks for the help. Over the weekend I reinstalled everything. Finally got ReplicatorG to connect. I went ahead and downloaded Makerware and as you said, it is very user-friendly and it takes .obj files. I reprinted my first object using Makerware with settings that you recommended on the first page. It came out great. I am using black ABS and haven't came across any issues that others have mentioned....yet.
    I'm sure I'll have more questions as I am new to 3D printing. Thanks again!

Daniel

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Geoff,
    Thanks for the help. Over the weekend I reinstalled everything. Finally got ReplicatorG to connect. I went ahead and downloaded Makerware and as you said, it is very user-friendly and it takes .obj files. I reprinted my first object using Makerware with settings that you recommended on the first page. It came out great. I am using black ABS and haven't came across any issues that others have mentioned....yet.
    I'm sure I'll have more questions as I am new to 3D printing. Thanks again!

Daniel
    No problems Dan,

I thought I'd mention the one big redeeming feature of Makerware that I have come to rely on, and that's the print preview..

Before you print, Tick the "Preview Before Printing" checkbox, under the "Use Defaults" button, bottom left hand corner. This will let you see the layers that will be printed!! when I say it can save you time and pain, I am not overstating ... it seriously is good.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast