Close

Little help please

Sorry to barge in here like this but I honestly exhausted all other avenues before I did. Anyways, Im in a bit of a pickle. Purchased a Genius Artillery, set it up step by step following a video tutorial, plugged it in,,instant smoke coming from what appears to be a motor. Im getting no response from Genuis ,,Ill try to attach some photos and a short video clip if anyone cares to take a peek,.thanks in advance..Cheers
    IMG_0052.jpgIMG_0053.jpg<strong>

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you managed to fry a stepper motor ?

That's not easy.
    Definitely check your wiring.
    did you get any assembly instructions with the machine ?

So apart from the smoke - did you get anything on the screen ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you managed to fry a stepper motor ?

That's not easy.
    Definitely check your wiring.
    did you get any assembly instructions with the machine ?

So apart from the smoke - did you get anything on the screen ?
    lol nut uh I didnt manage to burn up anything.All I did is continue to step 7 and plug it in. Is that the prognoisis? Fried stepper motor? On the screen meaning my touch pad?

yes sir I have the assembly instructions, I tend to grasp things alittle better with visual cues, I did pour over them before I ventured out to find a video tho. All plugs seem to be in order, kinda like any connection has its corresponding mate right there with nothing else around that I could plug A2 into plug A4. One things for certain , Im not a happy camper today..

Oh btw, in case it slips my mind..Thank you. I really didnt expect a response so soon.

response is easy - actually helping much harder.

Clearly something is either plugged in the wronf socket or the main power wires are crossed.

Where did the smoke actually come from ? could you pinpoint it exactly ?

Technician
    Hi Brian,

I'm a beginner too, but your post caught my eye. Firstly, that assembly looks rather easier than my Ender 3 V2 was about six weeks ago; took me a whole day!

Not sure which tutorial(s) you viewed but I had a quick look at this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCPuGzHHnCU

which I thought pretty good.

No smoke, but he did have a problem with one motor plug. I think it was mentioned at 07:50, 11:28 and 13:10. But if you haven't done so, might be worthwhile viewing the whole 39:27 video.

EDIT: Couple of other thoughts over lunch.
    1. I'm fairly sure there is supposed to be 'thermal runaway' built into 3D printers, but that seems to have failed if you've got to the smoke stage. So whatever the underlying cause, you might have to fix that too. More experienced users like CA might advise; I think it's via the firmware.

2. Possible causes I'd look for, apart from an outright electrical short or seized gears in a motor, would include a stuck belt or the end-stop microswitches (or their connections) not working.

Terry
    Last edited by terrypin; 04-12-2021 at 11:09 AM.

thermal runaway is just to stop the bed and hotend overheating.

As far as I can gather the smoke appeared as soon as he turned the machine on.
    So definitely not a thermal runaway issue. almost definitely something crosswired or a faulty component that went 'phutt'.