Close

Technician

Thingiverse downloads give security warnings

When working with files downloaded from thingiverse.com I'm frequently being pestered with Win 10 warning messages. This one below is typical. Do others get similar behaviour please?

Warnings-1.jpg

Yes, but shortly after my computer died, and I got a new one, so these kind of pop-ups stopped showing

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    nope - but then the first thing I do with any new computer is to cripple and remove and stop as much of microsofts nonsense as possible.

The best way to disable windows built in 'security' is to install another antivirus.
    I use AVG free with notofications turned off.
    Only stops actual viruses and stops windows 'defender' from crippling your system.

There was a version of windows where you could actually pick what components were included in the install.

Alas I heard about it too late - and microsoft have stopped the people doing it.

I haven't looked for an already compiled version yet. There's probably one arouind somewhere.

But, just install avg, click 'menu' pick 'settings' select 'notifications' and select 'silent mode'.

Although on this computer I just have defender as much turned off as you can have it.

Every now and then I'll run a malwarebytes free scan.
    But for normal people I recommend avg free :-)

Thanks for sharing. That's very helpful.