Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Technician
    Thanks for the info. I'm assuming this one has the first kind, but I'll take it. Apparently you are much more precise than I am about printing. LOL. I look at the spool but don't necessarily do the math to make sure. When the roll starts getting low, most of the time I keep checking when it's questionable, but things happen and I forget. And sometimes I misjudge when I leave a print running. Hasn't happened often - I guess if it did I would start doing the math.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I use th 'pinch test'.

One finger against the filament the other inside the spool. Adn then do a rough guestimate of the weight left.
    Haven't been wrong yet :-)

As far as what type the tenlog has. I dunno, it looks a lot bigger than the standard endstop runout 'sensor'.
    They haven't compromised on anything else. So you never know :-)

Technician
    So here's my new printer that was delivered Saturday - a week soon than expected. I purchased it from the manufacturer to avoid problems like I had with the last one, that I'm pretty sure was discontinued when I bought it on Amazon. The cost was the same, and I waited for the upgraded driver that was not supposed to be available in the US until today.

So far I'm very happy. It was pretty easy to put together. Just mount the frame on the base, mount the extruders and filament holders. Then it was just a matter of plugging in the wires. The wiring looks so neat and robust - I feel like this is a huge upgrade. It is pretty big and really, really quiet. I

ncluded a pic of my first 2-color print. Well it turned out to be 3 color because I am using the last little bits of filament rolls to test things out.

The quality looks really good. I'm still learning how to use everything, but it's really not that hard so far.

Had a little trouble getting prints to stick to the bed. I had to up the bed temp a little and use some hairspray, but now it's working fine.

It's direct extrusion - no bowden tube - which is new. I have had some problems already with clogged nozzles. I'm not sure why, unless it's the old filament. So far I've been able to work it loose with the nozzle tool. I'm assuming when I do have to open up the extruder to clear a serious clog, inside those boxes will look similar to what I'm used to and it won't be any harder than before.

I have ordered some dissolvable filament. I can't wait to try something with supports that will melt away or at least be removed easily.

Thanks for the advice everyone. You helped me make a good decision.
    Attached Images Attached Images

can you take a couple pics of the back of the printer please - I can't find any online.

But - yep, every bit as good as I hoped it would be.

So what slicer are you using to layout the two colour prints ?

Oh and can you hold the camera the other way up please :-)

Hmm clogwise.
    I'd have to see inside one of the extruders - but if the filament path is correct you really shouldn't get clogs that aren't sue to bad filament ever.

clogs seem to be one of the things that people accept will happen with 3d printers regardless of filament.
    No they shouldn't, ever.

Can you adjust the tension on the extruder ? that's also a reason they can happen.

Technician
    Does this show what you wanted to see? 20210405_161448.jpgI'm using Ultimaker Cura. I think I could have used the Repetoir (sp) that I was using, but I uninstalled it and started over with Cura since that's what they recommend and that's what all the "how-to's" online seem to be using. So far it's easier to use.I'm not sure about adjusting the extruder, but I bet I can. I'll have to check into that. For now it's working OK so I'll leave well enough alone.Here's also a pic of another print. This 2 color thing is pretty cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

one thing to try - and martin_au reminded me that all deirect extruder setups have different length filament paths.
    Check the retraction settings.

I remember reading that those extruders you have do have a very short path. so you want a correspondingly short retraction length.

So maybe 1-1.5 mm. probably at 50-60mm/s for stiff filaments.
    If the retraction length is currently set significantly higher than that - then it could help cause the blockages.

Damn good froggy :-)

What sort of purge wall does it use ?
    Or can you get away without using one ?

Technician
    Retraction is currently set a 4mm. Nozzle switch retraction is 8mm. So I'll try lowering it and see if it helps.

There is an option for creating a shield but I haven't tried it yet. The model has strings where colors change, but they are easily removed. I'll try it at some point and I'm sure it will help with more complex prints. I have to find it again - can't remember where that option is right now.

I'm trying a custom model now. Having trouble placing the individual parts on the build plate. I though the models would come in with 0 where it was in the original model, and I could just 0 everything out and they would be in the right place, but it doesn't work like that. I went back and set 0 at the COG assuming that would work but it was a waste of time. I finally eye-balled it and hopefully it's close enough for what I'm doing. But I've got to figure out how to make the parts fit together better.

Technician
    Just an update. I'm still loving my new printer.

I figured out how to set up models for the dual extruder - not hard - duh.

The prints seem to take longer - even when I'm only using one extruder. I think the default print speed on the slicing software I'm using now is slower than on the old slicer. But my prints look awesome, so I'm trying to be patient and not mess with the settings too much.

I've had to start printing almost everything with a raft to get it to stick to the hotbed. Unless I have a large cross section touching the build plate, it comes loose almost every time. I didn't have this issue with the Tronxy.

And the filament runout was nice while it lasted. Now I can't get it to print with them activated. I tried replacements, and it still doesn't work. What I have read online says that it's probably because of a clog. I have cleaned the nozzles and I don't see any signs of underextrusion, so I'll just live without them.

But these are all little things that really don't matter and can probably be fixed with a little tinkering. It's a great printer.
    I LOVE the PVA for supports. No more prints ruined because supports won't let go of the print.

there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't run 100mm.s as a 'normal' print speed.

But with the rails and setup on that machine you should be able to run a functional print at 150mm/s no problem.

So try something simple and ramp the speed up - pretty sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how fast it will print.

My print farm runs on Zortrax printers. They are amazing, all metal, auto-leveling, corexy, enclosed, hepa filter, camera, all the bells and whistles you can ask for. To make things better, they have optical (non-mechanical endstops) are made of metal, and generally, are very durable.

You can read about them here if you are interested in learning more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast