Close

FFF 3D Printing Electric Guitars; The Skeleton Strat

This is actually my second guitar. The next 2 are in work...
    We will talk in detail about this project in upcoming episodes of the 3D Printing Today Podcast. It actually plays better then my Swamp Ash Fender Strat!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andy Cohen; 07-28-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cohen View Post
    This is actually my second guitar. The next 2 are in work...
    We will talk in detail about this project in upcoming episodes of the 3D Printing Today Podcast. It actually plays better then my Swamp Ash Fender Strat!
    that's awesome, I have a few questions if I may,

I've made wooden electric strats in the past, but my printer isn't capable of a build of that size, so it would be done in pieces. Now I could conceive making a Les paul or similar style in about 12 pieces, do you think I would stand a chance of it staying together?

Having built a guitar and even using lighter gauge strings what is the tension ratio like on the neck to body on that thing? ie can you do a full whammy bend and retain tune ok?

I have messed up before and had bad bowing in the neck which led to constant head stock retuning and that was with building a conventional guitar so I wondered if there was any specific plastics, or adhesives you use in the process to aid in the pressure the strings produce?

And finally, you have a stock trem bar on that, do you think it's feasible to put a floyd rose on there? I have a few spares and that's probably what I would be putting in there, obviously also then adding a lock nut to the top, but I haven't seen many les pauls with a floyd rose setup so I'd like to give it a try.