Close

Unhappy Trouble with nozzle switch retraction settings in Cura 4.8

Does anyone know if there is a Cura setting to force the second nozzle to un-retract filament AFTER it is over the wipe tower and not before?

I'm doing a dual material print with PC+HIPS (using the HIPS as support) and whenever the nozzles switch, it first un-retracts the filament back into the nozzle (which results in some filament coming out onto my part) BEFORE it travels over to the wipe tower to prime the nozzle. This seems like a simple fix but I'm not sure what Cura settings to change to correct it.... Any ideas? NOTE: I'm using Cura 4.8.0

Here's a short video showing the problem in action happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTxb2AbsmA

Also, here's a copy of the current profile I'm using which is giving the problem. So far, I tried increasing and decreasing the retraction speed, lowering the temperature for the HIPS from 240 to 230, and also adjusting the retraction distance for the dual nozzle switch amount. The Nozzle with the Polycarb doesn't seem to have this issue, only the HIPS filament. Also, this only seems to happen when it is switching nozzles and not when it is retracting while printing the part.

NOTE: I'm running this print on my Airwolf3D AXIOM Dual Direct Drive printer. Any help/tips/ideas appreciated!

Thanks!
    Jason O
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you need to have it set for doing retractions during the wipe.
    Basically it performs the retraction while moving.
    really cuts down on that kind of blobbing.

And I have no clue how you would do that in cura.

weird looking nozzles.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you need to have it set for doing retractions during the wipe. Basically it performs the retraction while moving. really cuts down on that kind of blobbing.And I have no clue how you would do that in cura. weird looking nozzles.
    The printer I'm using is an Airwolf3D AXIOM Dual Direct Drive printer. The nozzles are 0.5mm aluminum nozzle custom made for this printer.

In Cure, there are two sets of retraction settings, the regular ones used while printing, and then the ones specific to the nozzle switching. What I'm seeing is that before moving to the prime tower to wipe the nozzle, it is first un-retracting the filament and creating a blob on the part before moving over to the prime tower. There doesn't seem to be a setting to tell Cura to do this AFTER the travel move to the prime power.

For the time being, I've resorted to manually removing the retractions from the G-CODE. But there's another interesting oddity. Because I'm printing my support material out of HIPS, it needs to first build a raft for the part to adhere to the build plate, followed by any support structures under the part itself. But I also found that when it prints the first layer of my part on the raft, it does not wipe the nozzle the first time when switching to the HIPS material to print the first layer of support material on top of the raft. This seems like a bug, but the result is a small blob on top of my raft at the beginning of the first layer of supports. Not terrible but not ideal either...

Has anyone else ever run into this problem using Cura 4.8 and dual material prints? The issues all seem to be surrounding the nozzle switching sequence.
    Last edited by Jdo300; 03-23-2021 at 05:52 PM. Reason: formatting

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    cura is pretty awful.
    have you tried prusaslicer ?

No idea how well it deals with dual extruders though.
    But it's generally a lot better than cura for everything else.