Close

Help! Really weird ender 3 problem

I am having a problem with my ender 3 where when printing vertically, the print gets shifted. I don’t think its z wobble because its not a wobble, it just gets shifted. Here is a picture https://ibb.co/1q83KgS

I printed basically the same exact stl a while ago and it turned out way better- the line is supposed to be perfectly straight.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    This is called layer shifting.

It is caused by a few mechanical adjustments or sticky grease on your smooth rods.
    XY axis belts too loose or too tight, V-Ref current incorrectly adjusted. Bad stepper motor highly unlikely though possible.

Smooth rods work best with a light machine oil rather than any kind of sticky grease, the smooth rod bearings have never been cleaned with the factor packing grease.

Great Bearing Cleaning video

White Grease like Vasoline can cause smooth rod linear bearing movement problems.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 03-23-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    This is called layer shifting.

It is caused by a few mechanical adjustments or sticky grease on your smooth rods.
    XY axis belts too tight, V-Ref current incorrectly adjusted. Bad stepper motor highly unlikely though possible.

Smooth rods work best with a light machine oil rather than any kind of sticky grease, the smooth rod bearings have never been cleaned with the factor packing grease.

Great Bearing Cleaning video

White Grease like Vasoline can cause smooth rod linear bearing movement problems.
    thanks! this was helpful!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    also check the grubscrews in the belt gears are tight.
    The little chinese man at the factory gets tired and the screws are often not very tight. If you tighten the belts it can cause gear slippage.

Approach every ender 3 as though it's a friday afternoon job and you won't go far wrong :-)

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    check the grubscrews in the belt gears are tight.
    It seem like I am always forgetting this one

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol I only remember because it happened to my delta and I'd practically stripped it down and rebuilt it beofre I noticed :-)

It sticks in your mind.