Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Can I make several identical prints in the same run?

My Ender 3 V2 is making a small box right now, 10 cm long (4") by 5 cm wide (2"). How would I proceed if I wanted to print say four of these at once please? Does openSCAD let me lay out one or more duplicates and arrange them so that they fit within the 22cm x 22cm base area?

Obviously the 5 hours or so I expect the single unit to take would become 20 hours, but I'd be comfortable leaving it unattended and avoiding the additional 'setting up' stages.

Terry, UK
    Last edited by terrypin; 03-14-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you can actually use the slicer to print more htan one thing at a time.

so 100mm by 50mm - and it's taking 5 hours !
    What speed and layer height are you using ?
    That's ridiculous - even for an ender 3 - I mean I know they are slow - but damn, that's positively glacial !

But basically the slicer will not only generate duplicates for you, it will also lay them out on the bed.
    Are you using cura or prusa slicer ?
    prusa slicer is better :-)

In Cura, right click the object and choose "Multiply selected model.

Technician
    Thanks, I'll try that shortly. Presumably if the result wouldn't fit on my Ender 3 V2 (220 x 220 x 250) then I'd be warned?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you can actually use the slicer to print more htan one thing at a time.

so 100mm by 50mm - and it's taking 5 hours !
    What speed and layer height are you using ?
    That's ridiculous - even for an ender 3 - I mean I know they are slow - but damn, that's positively glacial !

But basically the slicer will not only generate duplicates for you, it will also lay them out on the bed.
    Are you using cura or prusa slicer ?
    prusa slicer is better :-)

Not sure about speed and layer height. I used defaults. Powering up the the Ender 3 V2 monitor shows these settings.

Ender 3 V2 Monitor Defaults.jpg

X axis speed = 500? Presume that means 50cm / sec, which seems very high? I measured about 3s to move 200mm using the monitor

What profile in the slicer are you using? Standard ought to be fine.
    Scad creates the .stl file. Load that into the slicer (Cura) and copy the item there.

This is my Rep Rap Protos V3 with Simplify 3D slicer settings , I think you need to change up a gear or two on your printer ! Good luck rep rap speeds.jpg And yes you can print as many parts as will fit on you printing bed ,as I use Simplify 3D no problem , but speed it all up or you will be months on one project !!
    Last edited by zurferjoe; 03-14-2021 at 05:43 AM.

Technician
    Thanks, but I couldn't read the text in your low res screenshot.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Axl_Myk View Post
    What profile in the slicer are you using? Standard ought to be fine.
    Scad creates the .stl file. Load that into the slicer (Cura) and copy the item there.
    For this (my first print) I used Creality Slicer. There was no option to choose Ender 3 V2 so I used 'Ender—3/Ender-3Pro/Ender-3-3S'. I used all other settings defaults.

Attachment 16101

https://www.dropbox.com/s/piewvtmasm...mate.jpg?raw=1

As you see, its print time estimate proved wildly high.

But as some others have said 3h22m was far too long, please advise what settings I should change?

I've had recommendations to use Ultimaker Cura instead, which I've now installed. At first sight I see no significant difference. It too has no setting for V2. And its estimate was almost identical (over twice as long as the actual print).

Attachment 16102

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upz76wywu6...mate.jpg?raw=1

If anyone else has printed this box, with similar dimensions to mine (10 x 5 x 4 cm), what was the print time?

Attachment 16103

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lyoaps8ni...gLid.jpg?raw=1

EDIT:

All three images are OK here in Preview, but when I opened after sending they had all been replace with 'Attachment 16101', etc, and a message said Invalid.

I've just sent again and it's still the same.

So I've now added links instead.

Can I get some feedback please?

Terry
    Last edited by terrypin; 03-14-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that shortly. Presumably if the result wouldn't fit on my Ender 3 V2 (220 x 220 x 250) then I'd be warned?
    Cura, bottom left of screen shows object name and size. You can +/- the size in %. With object selected, left side screen. Second lab flask down, (that's what I think they are) check uniform scaling, and change 1 of xyz size.

Select your Cura config in the top right of screen for the dropdown. It will say Profile: Standard Quality. Click that, then on the down arrow. Try low quality.
    Scroll through the settings. Check the temps. I change the print temps to 215º and 60º.
    This is where all your slicer settings are. You can create and name special configs for different projects.
    Have fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast