Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I really like the filament concept. Do you leave the filament hanging all the time? The reason I ask is that I read all the time about filament absorbing moisture and contributing to jams and pops in the print. I've always kept my filament in nearly zero humidity containers and never leave it out when not printing. I don't do this based on any prior experience. I do it only because of what I read. It would be nice to know if some of that fear-mongering about moisture was misleading.

Just curious how you deal with it and what problems, if any, you've had.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Thanks for all the kind words!

RobH2 - I have a golden rod in the bottom of the box. It keeps the humidity aound 16% so it stays fairly dry in the box. That is a secondary reason I built the box! It works very well and keeps my nylons dry enough for printing.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Can you explain what a "golden rod" is? That's a new term for me? It sounds interesting enough to get me going on building my own box based on your nice design.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Rob have you ever experienced moisture problems? I ask as I am newish to the print world and we are approaching our humidity season in the NE so far I have not had any moisture problems with ABS stored out in the open.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    No I have not but I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been hyper vigilant to keep mine in a sealed bucket with desiccant. I have a professional hygrometer in it and it's always around two or three percent humidity. I've never just left ABS out for couple of weeks and then printed with it. The longest mine is ever out is about two days.

When I got started I did a lot of reading and kept reading that ABS really liked to soak up moisture and that could cause jams and gassing or popping gas bubbles in the print. So, I've just always been a good boy and kept it dry. I figured that the more things that I could control and keep from being a variable, the better luck I'd have learning to print. That way if something was not going well, I'd know it was not due to moisture. Plus I kept reading about guys baking their filament over and over in the oven. That doesn't sound very fun.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Our print room is currently 65% and its printing fine. I like to debunk myths if they are truly myths..

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I like the idea of the Golden Rod, the cost and the watts too. It cheap and efficient. That's an inexpensive solution for sure. Thanks for the myth debunking Steve. I'm going to help you debunk more and leave some ABS out for a few weeks to see what happens.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

In the name of debunk I have a few meters soaking in a bucket of H2O ill let it soak till tomorrow night then run a print.

ABS I am not worried about even at 65%. Nylon on the other hand prints like crap when its got any moisture in it. Print with nylon at 65% and your going to have a bad day!

Good luck myth busters!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast