Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Staff Engineer
    I hadn't heard of the tenlog printer previously. A quick search shows they also make a dual independent extruder version, similar in concept to my BCN3D Sigma 16, which coincidentally also uses linear rails for x and y, and has a moving bed with an acme rod, I think.

the Tenlog D5 prints a volume more than a half meter cube! That's huge and has a decent price for something that big. I like that it's direct drive extruders vs my Sigma bowden tubes.

For the specialty filaments, one would have to build a matching-huge enclosure, making it a real monster. The ad copy says nothing about the extruders, so they are likely not Bondtech, the one shortcoming. If they could be upgraded to high temp hot ends, it would be even closer to a good choice, but overall I think there's too many missing ticks for the boxes.

It's not my project, but it's a great printer on the surface.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Hello. I am currently chasing the large printing capability. I am doing this with 2 printers. One is a reworked Tevo Black Widow i3 style printer with a usable build envelope of 400x250x330 and a 0.6mm nozzle. The other is a TronXY X5SA-500 pro coreXY style printer with a usable build envelope of 510x510x600mm and a 0.8mm nozzle. I am learning right now that for the really large things maybe a moving bed is a bad idea. I think if we mean to print big things we should look to corexy or delta. There is just such a big difference between loaded and unloaded with a print that uses a whole 1kg spool of filament. And we will always have to at the very least print larger things at a slower speed if the bed has to sling all this weight around. I mean just look at this 310mm tall hand I printed. It used a whole 2.2lb spool of yellow PETG filament..

It looks real good. Even with the really large 0.6mm nozzle and the 0.4mm layer height..

But once 2lbs of plastic is stuck to that build surface inertia really starts working against you and we get all these layer shifts in the finger..

I post these pictures and point this out just to illustrate that with large format printing it is a MUCH better idea to have either a stationary bed or a bed that lowers only during the print because this style printer will be largely unaffected by changing amounts of weight on the build surface. For me and my very custom printer with 6 stepper motors controlling movement there are a few paths I can take to correcting for this but by and large when you buy your i3 style printer and get some weight on that large bed and bump into this problem it will mean re inventing the wheel for your printer to get good quality out of large and heavy prints. And for anybody wondering this whole hand was printed in PETG without a layer/part cooling fan and with a genuine Bondtech BMG-M extruder mated to a Slice Engineering Mosquito Hotend with vanadium nozzle. The best does not come cheap but oh man does it lay down the plastic nice. It's just a winning combination..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    This shelf I printed for my toolbox on the same printer put over 4lbs of plastic on the print bed earlier out of PLA..

Now this looks good. No layer shift even with 2x the weight on the build surface, right? But wait. I printed that whole hand in under 10hrs. And the shelf that was less height took 3 days to print to that point at a happy speed even with a lot of weight on the bed..

I guess if we are just making small things it doesn't really matter but because of my attempts at large format printing I am pretty sure moving forward I will only buy corexy or delta style machines.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol
    I'm currently printing pet-g at 100mm/s 230c and 0.3mm layer height on the sapphire pro.
    So it can come really cheap :-)
    Thats said the sapphire is only cheap in terms of monetary cost. The parts are all quality.

Oh and not a totally easy print either:

pretty sure it is a bondtech extruder, absolutely no clue what the hotend is.

In case you are scratching your head.
    My SQUARE card reader, slots in one part, my phone slots in the other and it makes a standalone card reader for taking card patments through square.

Got to admit I've only had the reader for a couple of weeks - but pretty impressed with the company and the whole setup.

The back rest lets you hold it, or leave it on a desk with the phone at 45 degree angle for ease tapping on the screen.

Have to admit I've always had doubts of how well an i3 could handle really tall prints.
    That is some serious layer shift alright !

Tall prints are one of the areas where deltas really come into their own.

Not only does the print bed not move laterally, it does not move vertically either.
    would you have even attempted to print this on a n i3 - I know I woudn't have:

I do have to admit that the last centimetre or so, it did start to wobble and I couldn't look lol

I reckon the sapphire could do it fairly easily and even faster.
    But I would not attempt to do it on an i3 without a substantial brim.

The other thing is that deltas are really easy to build. bastards ti get the calibration and calculations and rod lengths right. But they only have three moving parts and they are all the same :-)

I do have 90% of the bits to build a delta with a 1metre tall build height and a 350mm diameter build plate.

I just run out of money, space and inspiration. lol

Mate, you need a delta to play with.
    I'd love to see what you'd come up with to connect the rods to the effector (I have absolutely no idea why a delta extruder platform is called an 'effector')

And if I was thinking about building one now - I'd go a totally different route.
    I'd get sheet aluminium cut for the frame and use linear rails. I've actually got 30x30 extrusion and wheeled carriages.
    It would still begood - but a custom frame and linear rails, oh baby !
    I was going to go with a flying extruder - but have seen a really small all-in-one hotend and extruder from biqu - which would work a lot better.

How easy would it be to fix linear rails to 30x30 sluminium extrusion ?
    Mind you they'd be 1.5m long, not sure I could get tyhem through the post or at a price I can afford - but I know a man who would ;-) lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12