Close

Technician

Ender 3V2 Missing screw

Just opened my first Creality 3D printer (a gift, bought via Amazon). On carefully checking all items there appears to be a screw missing from this component:

MissingScrew.jpg

As a newbie I'd appreciate advice on the easiest/quickest way to buy this item please. It will take me a long time to build this machine, and I'd like to have a full set of parts before I start!

Terry, UK

Staff Engineer
    The easiest method to replace the screw is to remove the remaining one, visit a hardware store or nuts and bolts supply house and ask for a duplicate. You can ensure that the missing screw is the same type by inserting the removed screw in the empty spot, confirming the match. Also you can measure the diameter (metric), length and thread pitch to ask for a allen head cap screw of the appropriate size, specify metric.

Technician
    Thanks Fred. So far I could not find one matching it in Screwfix or Homebase. I've also emailed Creality.

From the attached can anyone tell its technical specification please?

MissingScrew-3.jpg

Missing Screw-2.jpg

Terry

Staff Engineer
    That's a fairly peculiar looking thread. It's almost as if it was cut twice in error. The correct measurement is not 13 mm, though, as you should measure from the underside of the head to the end of the bolt. Also needed is diameter.

Consider to locate a similar diameter bolt from a local source, regardless of head and length, to test fit into the threads. I suspect that this remaining bolt is to be considered defective/faulty. Finding an undamaged bolt that threads in easily will give you precise diameter and thread pitch and simple measurement will give you length, then search for cap head machine screw to match those specifications.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi Terry
    Fred-dot-u is almost certainly right that the screw you have extracted from the z-axis coupler of your machine is a faulty screw that has been double threaded by mistake in more than 50 years of engineering I have never seen a twin start screw as small as that. By scaling your photo I think what it should be is an M3 by 10mm Cap head screw. You can get 6 off of these for £1.90 from makeitbuildit.co.uk plus shipping

Technician
    Thanks Gambo. But I don't understand why should think the existing screw, which works fine in both positions, could be faulty?

But you're right about it being an M3. It's apparently an M3 'socket head cap screw', as I found here after further research:
    https://amp.reddit.com/r/ender3/comm...epper_coupler/

Creality said they will send one, but delivery from China is about 15 days! I spent several hours searching through all my old bolts, armed with micrometer, and found a suitable replacement of correct diameter and close enough in length. So with that show-stopper removed I am now proceeding with assembly.

I'm still looking for the identical part. My substitute has a standard single slot head and it was hard work getting sufficient torque with a screwdriver. Although your link was to a set screw I did try to order it as it would probably be an improvement. But unfortunately it's out of stock.

--------------------
    I've no idea how this post will appear after I send it! (I assume you've seen my parallel post about this problem.) But adding images appears to improve things. So I'll include an image of what this post looks like before sending, and would appreciate feedback from others please.

BeforeSending.jpg

WithSubstitute.jpg

Terry

Staff Engineer
    A machine error, especially one made on an automated line, might result in two sets of threads, both of which would be fully functional. If you find a good source, replace both of them, as the double-threaded item is weakened by the removal of the extra material.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi My feeling was that the tread looked wrong because it had too many turns so had to be double treaded. see FRED-DOT-U comment above. I just picked a random supplier out to suggest a source but if you google for "m3 x 10mm socket cap screws" you will find a whole lot of suppliers at a whole range of prices and minimum order sizes.