Close

Student

Creator: powerdown on heat-up attempt, help please

Hi guys,
    I have a problem with my Creator (and it's not a religious matter )

When I heat up any of the heads, the printer suddenly drops voltage with rising temperature (so it seems; did not check with multimeter). The fans (gradually) spin more slowly, then the printer powers down, the display showing white bars in place of text, then going blank, and smells of burnt plastic/insulation.

When I examined the electronics, I discovered that the two cables - red and black - that go from the PSU into the electronics are frying the socket (they black one deformed the plastic from the heat and almost pushed out). It is the source of the burnt smell.

Without head heating, the printer powers up and idles without problems.

Overheat diode on the mobo glows red, but I have nothing to compare to, so I don't know how it looks like normally.

Anyone have any ideas what happened? Did anyone unscrew the mobo, saw the other side, if there are hi power components there or sth?

Any help much appreciated.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by basfud View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a problem with my Creator (and it's not a religious matter )

When I heat up any of the heads, the printer suddenly drops voltage with rising temperature (so it seems; did not check with multimeter). The fans (gradually) spin more slowly, then the printer powers down, the display showing white bars in place of text, then going blank, and smells of burnt plastic/insulation.

When I examined the electronics, I discovered that the two cables - red and black - that go from the PSU into the electronics are frying the socket (they black one deformed the plastic from the heat and almost pushed out). It is the source of the burnt smell.

Without head heating, the printer powers up and idles without problems.

Overheat diode on the mobo glows red, but I have nothing to compare to, so I don't know how it looks like normally.

Anyone have any ideas what happened? Did anyone unscrew the mobo, saw the other side, if there are hi power components there or sth?

Any help much appreciated.
    Which model is it sorry? I only can tell you about the original wooden caveman version.

Student
    It is the original wooden caveman version The dual extruder plywood one.

Student
    Solved the problem.

It turned out one of the screws on the power-in on the motherboard went loose from vibration. Increased resistance fried the connector. Replaced connector, retightened screws, works as new.

In the mean time got similar issue with one of the extruder heaters, probably one of the wires got desoldered. Cable management on those printers is hell incarnate.

Still, the printer is now at over 6K hours of print, works like a charm. They are mean, angry, reliable workhorses if you know how to take care of them.