Close

choosing the right machine

Hello everyone, i am new to this forum and also to 3d printing, i would like to ask for advice from advanced users as i would like to buy a machine for a specific application, i know there are a lot of threads asking similar questions but still i think is worth to ask, i fix coffee machines, recently I'm having problems getting parts, some manufacturers are overseas, others only sell to authorized dealers, etc. last week i watched some tutorials on YouTube on how to use AutoCAD and designed a really small spur gear for a coffee grinder, took it out for printing and got an acceptable result (not excellent), i asked the printer guy and he told me that was the best he could do, i installed the gear and it seems to be working (i don't really know if it will last) as it is softer than the original, so my main concern are resolution and hardness, for example the gear i designed had 28 tooth of 1 Millimeter each, the printer had an accuracy of .5 mm (that's 50% error) and that caused the part not to be a perfect fit on the female coupling end. i would like to get a 3d printer capable of having a good resolution so i can make really small and complex parts but need to be strong too, i read about nylon and polycarbonate but then found out there are resin printers and other types too. any comments will be appreciated, thank you and happy printing!!

Yeah,if the parts you're printing are really small and need good detail,I'd recommend a resin printer.They are quite small,if that's what you're looking for.But you mentioned that you fixed coffee machines,so possibly some bigger parts in there...I would recommend a good quality FDM 3D Printer.BTW,what is your price budget?
    Thanks,
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by TheMax View Post
    Yeah,if the parts you're printing are really small and need good detail,I'd recommend a resin printer.They are quite small,if that's what you're looking for.But you mentioned that you fixed coffee machines,so possibly some bigger parts in there...I would recommend a good quality FDM 3D Printer.BTW,what is your price budget?
    Thanks,
    Max
    Hello Max and thank you for your prompt reply, I'm looking for good quality prints but also strength, some parts require to be strong to put up with the work load, I've seen prices on amazon from 200$ to several thousands, i was thinking on investing 1.000$ on a printer that can make from really small parts to a max of 10 inches in diameter (for the bigger parts) i think i can have my ROI in a few months and save a LOT of time by not having to wait overseas parts by mail....

Oh,Ok then...If it's up to $1,000,it'll be about 20 - 30 dollars for a decent spool of filament.I'd reccomend a Creality Ender 3,they have a lot of mods and high print quality.Apperently the top pick is the Ender 3 V2(Amazon here:https://rb.gy/likbgu).The Ender 3 series is one of the most popular cheap,beginner-tuned 3D Printers with high quality.For Strength,I'd recommend PETG filament,which is food-safe for coffee machines,and(Very)Strong,or ABS filament,still very strong and heat-resistant.Though for those kinds of filaments,you'll need an enclosure to hold the heat in and which unfortunately doesn't come with the printer which'll set you down about 80 bucks.You can get the one that fits the Ender 3 series herehttps://rb.gy/nnseze).In total,if you buy the printer,2 spools of filament,and the filament,you're looking at about 400 bucks.Too good to be true?Look at the reviews.
    Next up would be the Prusa i3 MK3S+,found here: https://rb.gy/yea1bj.It's(a lot)pricier than the Ender 3 V2,with the kit to build going for 750 dollars and the pre-built one being 1,000 dollars.It already comes with 2 spools of filament,so no need to worry about that.Plus,apparently when you buy the kit,you get a free bag of Haribo gummy bears!Though you'll need to still buy an enclosure for PETG and ABS prints.PLA works fine on any printer without an enclosure,though,since it's much weaker.In total,if you were to buy an enclosure,2 spools of filament,and the printer,you'd be at around 1,000 dollars.
    Also,All3DP.com,a popular 3D Printing website,has a review of the best 3D printers,which is constantly being updated!You can see it here:https://all3dp.com/1/best-3d-printer...-d-printer-3d/
    Well,good luck finding a printer,and I hope you really enjoy printing not just for work,but as a hobby!
    Also If you have trouble in the near future,just contact me and I'll help(I've sent a friend request to you)!
    Thanks,
    Max
    Last edited by TheMax; 03-02-2021 at 12:10 AM.