Close

Student

Question [Question] How to make an object 3D printable?

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to 3D printing. I am a games artist that wants to make small but highly detailed toys for me and my friends.

How do I make a 3D object printable are there any in depth tutorials or guides on this?

Thank you for your time,

HeadClot

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to 3D printing. I am a games artist that wants to make small but highly detailed toys for me and my friends.

How do I make a 3D object printable are there any in depth tutorials or guides on this?

Thank you for your time,

HeadClot
    So I learned a fair bit on my own. Got to say that 3D printing is a very interesting technology.

Anyway - I might be doing a tutorial series on what I have learned so far. Have a great day!

If you are interested in this please let me know.

- HeadClot

Google "3D printing toolchain" and you'll find lots of info on the software and process for creating a printable model. In brief:

1. Start with your 3D model in whatever software you normally use (Sketchup, Blender, DesignSpark, OpenSCAD, AutoCAD, etc.). Make sure it's manifold and watertight.
    2. Convert it to an STL file, either using your modelling software or an intermediate tool.
    3. Clean up the STL with Meshlab or Netfabb.
    4. Slice the STL into a GCode file (which are the instructions your printer can understand) using slicing software such as Slic3r, Kisslicer, Cura, etc.
    5. Use your control software to send the GCode file to your printer (Pronterface/Repeteier Host/etc.)
    6. Press the Go button.
    7. ???
    8. Profit!

The above is heavily abbreviated and there are many, many variations on the process and tools. Everyone has their personal preference and I'm sure I'll get beaten up for not mentioning any number of things you can do, but it's a start.

Student
    Hey everyone,

I have been knee deep researching what is possible with 3D printers.

Thank you all for all the information

- HeadClot

Hi,

I am new with 3D printing, refer to many steps from "3dkarma" , is there the 3d printing software that can manage such processes (generate STL file ---> clean up it-----> slice STL file to Gcode file ------> Send Gcode file to the 3d printer) all in one ?

Thanks,

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by anannop View Post
    Hi,

I am new with 3D printing, refer to many steps from "3dkarma" , is there the 3d printing software that can manage such processes (generate STL file ---> clean up it-----> slice STL file to Gcode file ------> Send Gcode file to the 3d printer) all in one ?

Thanks,
    http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

Engineer-in-Training
    Most important for first time designs:

No overhangs

Minimum 1 mm thickness walls/features

No pancake-shaped items for ABS