Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by cf_pro View Post
    LOL, I was just responding to your microwave question... this is what it would take for mainstream adoption.
    It is important for us to put our thoughts and ideas into this hobby. It is the only way it will grow into what you have envisioned. Because Lord knows as it stands you really gotta look in any town for the home(s) with a 3d printer in them.

I currently have a business in mind that could use a 3d printer, but for everyday use, this industry has to evolve a lot.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Actually the printer side of things is about 90% there.
    You CAN buy an off the shelf printer that does not rewuire any assembling, and you can get them pretty cheap and they are near enough plug and play.

That's NOT what's holding up having a 3d printer in every home.

The simple truth is that no matter how easy to use a printer gets - you STILL need to be able to use cad software and design the things you want to print.

It's the 3d scanning side of things, that is really holding things back.

There have been a couple of attempts to make 3d photocopiers,

xyz made one - that by all accounts was atrocious and a company called AIO made the ZEUS scanner/printer/copier. Which - while not perfect could actually do 3d photocopying.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik3SwIDlYPA

I've heard nothing in recent years and the whole 3d photocopy system seems to have died a temporary death.

Also for every home to want a printer, the big hardware manufacturers need to wise up and start using virtual part stores.
    I mean you can store all your speare parts on a server and do away with warehouses and manufacturing chains. You'd actually end up with a server and customers not only paying you to download the file, but also paying for their own plastic to manufacturer the parts.

On a side note, while this guy is talking complete and total bollocks about fdm print speeds, this lightweight extruder looks really interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IJaD15UQU0

But to sum up, in order to get a microwave style 3d printer, you need idiot proof 3d scanning and a whole new manufacturing infrastrusture and change of approach to spare parts.

The printer technology is there, it just needs everything else to catch up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Actually the printer side of things is about 90% there.
    You CAN buy an off the shelf printer that does not rewuire any assembling, and you can get them pretty cheap and they are near enough plug and play.

That's NOT what's holding up having a 3d printer in every home.

The simple truth is that no matter how easy to use a printer gets - you STILL need to be able to use cad software and design the things you want to print.

It's the 3d scanning side of things, that is really holding things back.

There have been a couple of attempts to make 3d photocopiers,

xyz made one - that by all accounts was atrocious and a company called AIO made the ZEUS scanner/printer/copier. Which - while not perfect could actually do 3d photocopying.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik3SwIDlYPA

I've heard nothing in recent years and the whole 3d photocopy system seems to have died a temporary death.

Also for every home to want a printer, the big hardware manufacturers need to wise up and start using virtual part stores.
    I mean you can store all your speare parts on a server and do away with warehouses and manufacturing chains. You'd actually end up with a server and customers not only paying you to download the file, but also paying for their own plastic to manufacturer the parts.

On a side note, while this guy is talking complete and total bollocks about fdm print speeds, this lightweight extruder looks really interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IJaD15UQU0

But to sum up, in order to get a microwave style 3d printer, you need idiot proof 3d scanning and a whole new manufacturing infrastrusture and change of approach to spare parts.

The printer technology is there, it just needs everything else to catch up with it.
    It comes down to incentives, what incentive do manufacturers have to create 3d importable parts so you can print them at home VS people having to buy your parts. Also when people can print parts that are broken then there is no incentive to buy an entire new replacement unit. So from a manufacturer profitability perspective it makes no sense.

Now for a new competitor entering the market it could be used as marketing tool, if stuff breaks, go to our site and download the 3d model so you can print it yourself. Better yet if you have the 3d printer of microwaves, we have every part that can be printed on that system for you to print.

So from a manufacturer profitability perspective it makes no sense.
    well that's about as incorrect a statement as you could have typed.

NO warehousing costs, NO manufacturing costs, NO distribution costs.
    The 'warehouse' is virtual and takes up a physical space about a cm on a side and 2mm thick.

Not only NO costs to you, but the client who wants the part will pay you to download the file - and with the right digital encryption, you can even decide how many times they can use the file.
    The client will even pay for the material to print the virtual part.
    And if you're smart you'll colour the parts so that you can even sell them the material to print the viretual part you've just sold to them.

So to sum it up.
    A single small setup cost to establish your virtual 'warehouse'. practically no ongoing costs, and the person who wants the part not only pays you for a virtual part but also pays for the materials it's made of.
    It's a business wetdream.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well that's about as incorrect a statement as you could have typed. NO warehousing costs, NO manufacturing costs, NO distribution costs. The 'warehouse' is virtual and takes up a physical space about a cm on a side and 2mm thick.Not only NO costs to you, but the client who wants the part will pay you to download the file - and with the right digital encryption, you can even decide how many times they can use the file. The client will even pay for the material to print the virtual part. And if you're smart you'll colour the parts so that you can even sell them the material to print the viretual part you've just sold to them. So to sum it up. A single small setup cost to establish your virtual 'warehouse'. practically no ongoing costs, and the person who wants the part not only pays you for a virtual part but also pays for the materials it's made of. It's a business wetdream.
    I like what you are saying, and I was thinking of the current brands and their current business models, but they need to rethink their model if they want to survive. I believe open source is the ticket, however who is going to pay for the engineer costs? I am thinking open source with a crypto coin or a decentralized autonomous organization to pay for the research/development.

I object to my printer hardware, I have an Ender 3 and its been turned out great yet when I went to utilize it today it wasn't working. I resembles the wheel on the extruder is turning and when I begin printing it pushes fiber out, however then it goes over this harsh spot and afterwards quit pushing fiber out, yet the wheel is as yet turning with no fiber is coming out. I'm really new to 3D printing so any assistance would be extraordinary.
    Last edited by sarajennifer; 05-26-2021 at 06:48 AM.

I object to my printer, I have an Ender 3
    lol I object to it too :-)

Sounds like you have a gap between the ptfe feed tube and the top of the brass nozzle on the hotend.
    This causes the machine to start exrtruding and a pool of molten plastic graducally builds up in the gap and the filament stops extruding.

It can be as simple a fix as pushing the bowden tube a mlot harder into the hotend.

Or as awkward as dismantling the hotend, cleaneing it out and making very sure the tube reaches the the top of the nozzle.

It could be a bunch of other things - but the bowden tube into the hotend is the first place to start.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_au View Post
    Core X5SA Pro (330x330) - $369 (For the frame and rails)
    SKR 1.4 Turbo + 2209s + TFT35 - $93 (Default electronics are quite sketchy. This board has some level of redundancy)
    Gates GT2 belt - $30
    E3D V6 Volcano - $45
    E3D Titan - $109 (or bondtech, or other well known, well supported extruder)
    Pancake motor - $15
    Magnetic PEI powdercoated build sheet - $60
    Wiring/Misc - $29
    Total - $750

Other parts for QOL/long term reliability:
    E3D Toothed idlers - $42
    Meanwell 600W power supply - $162
    Mic6 350x350 bed - ~ $150
    Keenovo 24v 300x300 heated bed - $71
    Bed Mosfet - ~$15
    New Total = $1200
    I am lost at this list. First off the X5SA's all come with a single drive titan extruder clone. And who's using a v6 in 2021? We are spending our cheese on the Hemera, or the LGX, or the H2. We upgrade the bed heater Away from the 24v and to 120v Mains Power(I run a 1000watt 450x450mm under my 500x500 bed, for example). And who in their right mind would set off on a large dollar amount and time intensive upgrade path for such a small build envelope? The X5SA 500 PRO is way down on price and so little more that in the scheme of the total amount it is nothing. But that 500x500x600 build envelope is the biggest form factor you can buy in that price range without just building your own from scratch.

And just between us, a lot of folk think putting these things together is pretty easy, and a lot of these printers come unassembled. And maybe that has something to do with the overall reputation they all get. Do you think? Or have you never seen the rat's nests that people hang all over their robots with the 3 moving axes? Just building these machines is a skill. Sadly most are so anxious to see their purchase return that first print they hurry through every step. A few of us treat building them like building an old school model. Nice and slow. Letting it go at it's own pace and just making sure each thing we do or touch is right and correct before going on to the next.

And no where on your list is a labor allowance. I swear. We gotta teach you how to write a proper estimate. There needs to be a markup on the parts. 20% is the standard in most industries for parts acquisition.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I am honestly at a loss for how to bill to build a printer for someone else. Even in a proposal. If it were a car I would setup a bank account and have the owner put 5k or 10k in it and when the funds got low from my time and parts I would notify the owner to make another deposit. Because there is no way to accurately quote labor on a big project up front. And when asked up front "how much?" the professional response is always "It will cost time and materials". I obviously wouldn't get far with that here. And I take a lot of time and spend a lot of funds building a printer. I just don't know how to resolve that in a way that would see me spending time building printers for people. No matter how much fun I would have with it.

And about the LGX, you should go look at this: https://www.bondtech.se/product/bond...ff-print-head/ . The LGX is Bondtech's direct answer to the Hemera. Why wouldn't Bondtech make a low profile heatsink for it? They wouldn't be competitive if they didn't. That is the standard of the new generation. HOWEVER, I am with you on the volcano thing just not the volcano. I am lately all about bigger printers and printing bigger things and so my next nozzle is to be a 0.8mm and I will print at 0.4-0.6mm layer heights. I will push a lot of filament through the extruder fast and so I am thinking about a Slice Engineering Mosquito Magnum hotend with vanadium 0.8mm nozzle. And that will bolt up to the LGX.

But I also have a Bondtech BMG-M extruder with a Slice Engineering Mosquito hotend and I really like the way that attaches the two. It mounts them in a way that makes nozzle changes a one handed affair. So IDK and I am still undecided about what extruder setup I will go with on my 500 PRO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast