Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the x5sa PRO.
    https://www.amazon.com/Printer-Struc...011088&sr=8-10
    Upgraded linear rails from the non pro.
    In fact a lot of other little, but significant upgrades as well.
    Plus it's pretty much bang on your size requirements.

lol I suspect if you gave autowiz a fixed budget. He would stick to it rigidly.
    You probably wouldn't get any change, but you would get the absolute best parts that could be got in that price range.
    Built by a man who REALLY understands how 3d printers work :-)

I am a total newb, this will be my 1st stab at this. I figure I ask the pros on which printer to get. Not sure if I am ready for a custom build. Based on my experience in dealing with hardware I would assume I would be dealing with lots of little issue that could end up killing my time. I rather get something prebuilt that has a support staff in case I run into something.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by cf_pro View Post
    AutoWiz sounds like a wild card when it comes to how much it will cost.Which one you likehttps://www.amazon.com/s?k=corexy&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
    I thought I was very clear in my quote for 'a whole lot of money', lol. But you did say $2k budget. And I can build that. I mean we will still have my labor to deal with over and above that but I could put 2k into a rig without breaking a sweat. I mean we could put a grand into rails, half that into an extruder and that same amount again into a good frame and thats 2k right there. I am a little over 3k into the Multi Widow. It is a good feeling owning and using a high dollar rig. In this crazy world where so many think their skills or wit can somehow trump a poorly made cloned part the actual reality is these printers are no better than the sum of their parts and a lot of people don't seem to understand that poor quality metals rust easier and faster and that rust pits the metal bearing surface. It's not always a matter of grinding on this or that the cheap stuff is all around cheap. Even with the very materials it is made from. And every company that manufacturers these printers does so with the absolutely lowest price parts they can source which both keeps the price down and also keeps them from seeing the reliability they need to break into the land of mainstream. To buy any off the shelf printer is to scrape the bottom of the barrel in the land of 3d printing just for this reason. And it is also why the best machines you will see are the ones built by enthusiasts like me.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 02-22-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    I thought I was very clear in my quote for 'a whole lot of money', lol. But you did say $2k budget. And I can build that. I mean we will still have my labor to deal with over and above that but I could put 2k into a rig without breaking a sweat. I mean we could put a grand into rails, half that into an extruder and that same amount again into a good frame and thats 2k right there. I am a little over 3k into the Multi Widow. It is a good feeling owning and using a high dollar rig. In this crazy world where so many think their skills or wit can somehow trump a poorly made cloned part the actual reality is these printers are no better than the sum of their parts and a lot of people don't seem to understand that poor quality metals rust easier and faster and that rust pits the metal bearing surface. It's not always a matter of grinding on this or that the cheap stuff is all around cheap. Even with the very materials it is made from. And every company that manufacturers these printers does so with the absolutely lowest price parts they can source which both keeps the price down and also keeps them from seeing the reliability they need to break into the land of mainstream. To buy any off the shelf printer is to scrape the bottom of the barrel in the land of 3d printing just for this reason. And it is also why the best machines you will see are the ones built by enthusiasts like me.
    Sounds like I would be going over my budget of $2k and I am not sure if I would get support.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    It's also great to finally hear an answer as to why these 3d printers have fallen short of mainstream, right? Why it is that they never became the new microwave oven in every home. Because microwaves are easy to use and reliable and do not have a record of setting homes on fire.

For a 3d printer to become mainstream it has to have the following features:- Fast- Select object from menu (dynamically updated via cloud) and hit print

Also add the ability to print in multi-color.Have useful items to print, the ability to scan in a SKU code, and it shows all the parts it can print for replacement. Also have the ability to print things you can use around the house.It should be able to print metal and plastic.Let's say you want to print a roomba, it should print all the parts, and then it automatically orders things that cant be printed and then it prints out directions of how to put all the pieces together.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by cf_pro View Post
    Also add the ability to print in multi-color.Have useful items to print, the ability to scan in a SKU code, and it shows all the parts it can print for replacement. Also have the ability to print things you can use around the house.It should be able to print metal and plastic.Let's say you want to print a roomba, it should print all the parts, and then it automatically orders things that cant be printed and then it prints out directions of how to put all the pieces together.
    Spoken like a true enthusiast. On your way into this hobby you should spend some time considering and then understanding why all of these printers come unassembled. If the printer came ready to print and you just opened the box and started printing the expectations of quality would be as such that there would be an absolutely huge return/warranty rate. But to sell and ship them completely unassembled creates a plausible deniability where the manufacturer can first argue that you put it together wrong but then can argue that you opened everything and manipulated all the pieces and parts helping greatly with denying a return. So many people in this world just don't get this simple truth. But it is most certainly the truth. The printers that come ready to run and require little or no setup are generally expensive because they know their stuff has to work. So like the Prusa Mini that is just 3 pieces to assemble will be a good machine. But it is expensive for it's build envelope. And you might be on a waiting list to get it as that printer seems to be a favorite of the printer farms.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there are an increasing number of ready built plug-n-play printers around.
    Some actually do what they say they do.

The original makerbot replicator, pretty much nailed it 8 years ago. That's why it's still one of the most copied designs on the internet.
    Take it out the box, attach the extruder assembly with 2 bolts, attach filament holders and you're ready to go.
    The current crop have improved a lot of things, but the basic makerbot design is still the same.

I made a lidless box/container on my sapphire pro2 last night.
    Printed it at a true 150mm/s (well that's what it said everytime I looked) and 0.3mm layer height.

Unless you knew it was 3d printed, I very much doubt anyone would guess.
    Damn thing looks and feels like quality injection moulding. Blew me away.

And that's a £300 printer.
    The frame is built like a german tank. The top plate is a solid sheet of 6mm aluminium, the base is 2.5mm sheet steel.
    The linear rails are quality and the bed and extruder heat up simultaneously and hit 65c plate and 200c printhead in just under 2 and a half minutes.
    Oh and it's virtually silent in operation.

Weirdly the thing that makes the most noise is the filament coming off the reel. I could probably design a quieter spool holder by using a bearing on the holder shaft. But, hell the filament noise is the only way I can tell it's running, without actually looking at it.

If the manufacturers use decent parts and design the machine properly (so NOT creality lol) there is absolutely no reason a cheap to buy machine can't beat the crap out of a really expensive machine.

I still haven't seen your working 40mm iris box, printed at 150mm/s auto wiz ;-)
    I showed you mine :-)

The only reason I haven't been pushing the sapphire pro2 is that it's build volume is 230x230x220.
    Big enough for just about anything I make, but not 300x300x400 that's becoming the new standard for the mid-range machines.

And I was thinking $2k with labour lol
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-23-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    Spoken like a true enthusiast. On your way into this hobby you should spend some time considering and then understanding why all of these printers come unassembled. If the printer came ready to print and you just opened the box and started printing the expectations of quality would be as such that there would be an absolutely huge return/warranty rate. But to sell and ship them completely unassembled creates a plausible deniability where the manufacturer can first argue that you put it together wrong but then can argue that you opened everything and manipulated all the pieces and parts helping greatly with denying a return. So many people in this world just don't get this simple truth. But it is most certainly the truth. The printers that come ready to run and require little or no setup are generally expensive because they know their stuff has to work. So like the Prusa Mini that is just 3 pieces to assemble will be a good machine. But it is expensive for it's build envelope. And you might be on a waiting list to get it as that printer seems to be a favorite of the printer farms.
    LOL, I was just responding to your microwave question... this is what it would take for mainstream adoption.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast