Close

Person who Invented BL Touch - Are they a sadist

Is it just me, but printing with a genuine BL Touch is much more painful that without. I have an Ender 3 and if I got paid and hourly rate for the amount of time spent trying to get decent prints, I could have retired six months ago. In fact, I would gladly pay someone £100 to come round and set mine up and get it running reliably (payment on results). I have followed all of the tutorials, videos, guides and still cannot get reliable results.

Engineer-in-Training
    yes more trouble than they are worth get a flat glass plate and no need for level error mapping

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    is it just the bltouch that's causing problems ?
    It really isn't a necessary item.
    As gambo says - get a flat bed. Once that's physically levelled - that aspect is done with.
    You then just have to fight the rest of the issues with the ender 3.

So whereabouts in the uk are you ?

I liked my bltouch on my Ender 3 Pro right up until I didn't...lol
    For some reason, it stopped probing correctly. I removed the bltouch and manually leveled and all was well in the world.
    Later, I decided I wanted a probe again, so I installed a spring steel sheet and an inductive probe, which was much harder to configure working firmware for, but again, it worked well except that it was printing about an inch further right, which would be my own error in the firmware I'm sure. But I eventually got tired of that and again removed the probe.
    It always worked best for me with no probe and manually leveled. But I did like the spring steel sheet, Microswiss direct drive, and SKR mini E3 board I installed. The person I sold the printer and all upgrades (installed and not) says he loves the printer and is still enjoying it.
    I would suggest uninstall the probe, manually level, and just take your time. It can be a great printer when properly tuned.

Today I did a ritual 'hammer smash' of the BL Touch. I could have sold it, but I just would not be able to live with myself inflicting such pain on someone I did not know.Back to manual levelling and printer back up and working well. Phew, only a small part of my life wasted, but hey ho. I should have remembered, if something seems to good to be true, it probably is!

also bear in mind that about 99% of all bltouch sold are NOT genuine.
    Also the chinese will always tell you it's genuine. I suspect the definition of 'genuine' is quite different in chinese :-)

ie: ' of course it's genuine, it was genuinely made in an actual genune factory, wasn't it'.

And for an item that physically measures things in the thousandths of a millimetre scale - the components used are REALLY important.
    Most 3d printer cheap clone devices are almost as good as the originals. But with a high spec measureing device like a bl-touch - probably not so much.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-19-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Not always a factory sometimes Chinese Charlie's shed if some of the things I have had from there are to go by!
    But it's a genuine shed.
    Last edited by Gambo; 02-19-2021 at 07:43 AM.

But it's a genuine shed.
    But of course !

Also if you replace the nuts in your levelling knobs with nylock locking nuts - once it's physically levelled - it STAYS levelled.
    Often for years :-)

So a physically flat bed and locking levelling nuts = the best and most permament solution to levelling a printer bed.

My sapphire pro was levelled once - last june, I think. And this week I've been making base plates for pc motherboards and using the entire build area. print speed 150mm/s - first layer speed 50mm/s.
    That's when you find if a bed is still level - and yes it is ! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by

ie:[I
    ' of course it's genuine, it was genuinely made in an actual genune factory, wasn't it'.

[/I]
    I did buy it from the Creality Store and it came with a metal bracket, interfaces and cables, etc, so I presumed that it would be genuine. Anyway, gone back to manual levelling and I think I'll do what curious aardvark recommends.

creality are the kings of clone. So, probably genuinely made in a genuine shed :-)