Close

Student

Question Need advise for a resin printer

Semi retired mechanical engineer - designer consultant, working on NX platform. Just got back to a CAD work after a long year of sitting in a dark.
    Seeing in the office two of my young coworkers having the Anycube Photon Mono X resin printer, they like miniatures.
    I got the idea to get one 3d printer for myself as well. I am primarily interested in prototyping and proofing my design, not really into games and toys. Btw, I did a lot of SLS designs in the past, parts were outsourced.
    What would be your recommendation? I understand that "you got what you paid for" is not always working like that. And the internet (amazon) want to sell you just anything.
    Unfortunately I cannot reach out to the Formlabs platform, what else is there worth to invest?
    The machine to have a solid mechanical platform, widely available spare parts and upgrade ability, also a wide forum support base and solid software. If all possible a full kit to fit into $3K bill?
    Researching now also resins I could further machine/tap/mill to finish the parts.
    Last edited by bigHUN; 02-14-2021 at 08:40 PM.

I have had bad luck buying machinery of any kind on amazon. It's always cheap crap bought from Alibaba and resold on amazon. You can still find good equipment on amazon, it's just hard. I recently acquired a great anvil but I had some help.
    Last edited by nonose; 02-26-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Student
    Agree for amazon, years ago they were great but lately they sell any crap you throw on them. They don't list specs, anything expensive r then 2-300 bucks is a big nono, but even the return policy have a price.

The Peopoly Moai 130 laser SLA comes to my mind, but open to other suggestions.
    Last edited by bigHUN; 02-15-2021 at 12:32 AM.

Student
    Stereolithography (SLA) is the oldest form of 3D printing. It works by exposing a layer of photosensitive liquid resin to a UV-laser beam; the resin then hardens in the desired pattern, and the object is built layer by layer until it is complete. This allows you to print a model with extremely fine detail.
    Last edited by Ashleybarry; 03-02-2021 at 01:51 AM.

On Amazon, you can study product reviews, mostly pay attention to negative reviews in order to understand what real problems the product has. This way you can find the right products for a reasonable price.

Student
    So far my selection got to these lest twol:

Anycubic Photon mono X vs Phrozen Sonic Mighty

Expecting to get one of these locally somewhere end of March,only waiting for stores to open in Toronto/Canada.
    Spending my time educating about things...

My design models will be fairly large = so heavy printed resin weight... so shall I pay more attention to Z-level column/rigging and motors to survive the lifting?

I’m considering getting a resin printer for smaller detailed models. I’m looking at the Anycubic Photon Mono but there’s a few other options I’m also looking at.
    My FDM sits in a spare room that doubles as an office that I use for work. I’d like to put the resin printer in the same room but I’m a bit concerned about the toxicity of the resin. Is it safe to have a resin printer in an office? Do the printers themselves have filters? Do I need to look at ventilation systems? Apparently some resins are non toxic?
    I’ve seen such conflicting advice, some say don’t worry about it, others say you need a fully ventilated enclosure with multiple filters.. what do I need to cons
    Last edited by davidbrok5; 07-03-2021 at 06:18 AM.