Close

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    - What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

I like the 3D printed optics from LUXeXceL. They have used stereolithography to create functional lenses out of clear resin by allowing each layer to settle before printing the next one. If this could be replicated in space we could potentially print giant telescope lenses in space. As long as we can do it without gravity. And as long as we dont mind a bit of outgassing! (Hey, I never said it would be easy).

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

I would like to see a machine capable of printing hybrid metal/plastic systems. But I would say that because that is exactly what my PhD involves. Also, add to this machine the capability of reclaiming materials, and you have a very sexy and useful (and economical) device.

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    The most interesting thing I've seen is 3D printing with alternative materials and methods such as 3d printing sand into glass with solar power.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

It would be an all in one, 3d printer/laser cutter/cnc mill/3d scanner. Something that would be as simple as swapping a 3d printing head with a cnc milling head.

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

The most interesting things I've seen are the printing batteries to fit confined areas and prosthetic limbs cheaply to help children and adults in places where the just isn't the money to supply
    more expensive alternatives while still giving them additional mobility and dexterity.

Technologies like this are proper uses of the technology and potentially can create devices and parts that are difficult , expensive or almost impossible to build by conventional means.
    It's pointless printing items that can be produced faster, cheaper or easier by conventional means. Also producing items on sire is a much better way of utliising the raw material.
    If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

It would be a combined 3d printer that can recycle and produce it's own filament if it was FDm combined with a laser cutter, CNC mill which would allow an item to be produced in the most appropriate and economical manner

The most useful addition could be a 3D scanner that could take incomplete or broken parts and like predictive text on a mobile phone suggest what the complete item was or compare parts in a massive database of parts to allow the printing of replacement parts with teh need to create a new 3D model of the part.

Also multi material to allow the device to choose the most appropriate material for the job.

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

The most interresting thing was a completly 3d-printed house. I think thats the future.

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

It would be usefull to have a printer with a changable extruder to print multiple colors or add a milling machine. And it would be cool if the printer was faster.
    Last edited by aul12; 12-14-2014 at 01:10 PM.

A 3D Printed house. A HOUSE.
    It can print in every color with just one extruder, change filaments while printing.

Student
    Those 3D printed houses in China. I look forward to the day when the technology to print entire houses becomes mainstream.

It would have a large build area and be extremely precise. It would have interchangeable tool heads and also be able to scan objects.

3D printed human tissue

I would like to have a printer that could swap out the extrude heard for a lazer cutting/etching tool and rotary cutting tool for light cnc work.

rwteele

The 'analog' 3d printer. It had no control board, and worked off gravity, a turntable and a cam follower in order to move the print head making vases.
    I would use a shipbuilding gantry crane on rails, with a concrete extruder. Have the entire assembly move, whilst building a neighborhood in it's stead.

Re: ENTER HERE - 3DPrint - Ultimate 3D Printing Giveaway!

I'd say the best thing I've seen done is the production of crowd sourced, inexpensive prosthetic limbs for those who need them. Especially nice are the hero themed hands for kids such as Wolverine or Iron-Man. It kind of restores your faith in humanity, y'know?

If I could build my dream printer, I think it would have to be a multi-function fabricator that would print, mill, scan, etc. all in one box. The other must would be to use precision lead screws instead of belts. They just seem sturdier and more reliable. I'm thinking a cross between the Fabtotum and the Helix3D would be awesome.

My Reply -

Well I haven't had the opportunity to do anything special with a 3D printer. Winning one would allow me to bring some of my blender projects to life. I'm very new to the 3D printing world, but I want to learn more and see what awesome prints I can create. One of my projects I would like to create, is a new box for my vape mod.

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast