Close

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    - What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

Used by Nasa, Re-create broken body parts (bones) etc & Most intersting for me is 3D Printed Houses..

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

Atleast in india it takes months to build a regular house by a traditional builder with lots of manual Labour and still not everyone cannot afford to !,
    3D Printing house can not only bring that change
    But help poor segment of the people to own a shelter at 1/10th of the cost ! May not be a building but a shelter for sure.

Student
    - What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

So far, the most interesting thing I have seen done is the way people use 3d printing to create prosthetics for animals (and people of course). There's an article out there about an eagle that was given a printed beak, and I just found that very inspiring. 3D printing offers a way for anyone, regardless of education, status, etc. to create solutions to real-world problems.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    Still being new to 3D printing, my dream printer would never need to have the nozzle or bed constantly adjusted to make sure everything was leveled. Lame and unimaginative, but this is truly one of the biggest areas I struggle with and it makes me crazy.

The most interesting thing I've seen could be the 3D printing mini builders https://vimeo.com/97976677

My dream 3D printer would look rather like a lava lamp it could produce a 3d part by injecting liquid material in to a suspended animation container and then solidify instantly. No more supports needed!

My entry:

1) Most interesting thing i`ve seen was building functional tools (a french wrench) for fixing things (not just exchange parts).
    2) My ideal printer would not be on this cube form, but an robotic arm (give you biger workspace and there is no need for moving bed).

Student
    Follow roddy On Twitter
    Wow! This is quite the contest. Thanks for putting it all together.

Most interesting project is a toss up for me. There's the "tug at the heartstrings" story of the group project leading up to a robotic hand: http://www.dezeen.com/2013/05/29/3d-...thout-fingers/
    And then the items that defy injection molding such as this Gyrornament: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:225494
    Layer process 3-D printing via filament, SLS, CnC and powder bed. Why not have them all at once as long as I'm dreaming? Also, integrated scanning would be nice.

Student
    Koenigsegg has been producing a lot of interesting parts for their cars via metal 3d printing. They have a unique turbo housing that is 3d printed, including the moving parts inside!

A dream printer would have a self-leveling heated bed, a printhead that would easily accept various types of filament (NinjaFlex still isn't printing on my FlashForge despite all my attempts), maybe a quick change mechanism for different types of filament? It would have a large printbed and be fast, reliable, and quiet. It would have the ability to recycle its own used filament for use in future prints.

Student
    Add pfeam23 on Facebook Add pfeam23 on Google+
    -What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    I think the ability to 3D print organs and other biological material is the most amazing thing I've seen. This could have a huge impact on society in the future.

-If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    A dream 3D printer would be fully automated start to finish. The ability to print any color, any material, and any size needed. No finishing would be needed because the printer would be accurate down to the atomic level. Also, the printer would be able to scan any object and re-print it in any scale with the same materials as the original.

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

On robo 3d site I saw a full sized scooter that was 3d printed and was really cool. The full color sandstone prints that thingiverse makes are really cool looking. I also think that really any 3d print thay is useful is great.

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

My dream 3d printer would make prints directly from pellets, so the cost of expensive prints would no longer be a problem. The 3d printer would print items with no geometric limits, with support material. It would also be full color, not like the FDM full color printers not that can change color by layer, but be multicolor within the same layer.

Student
    Follow apmahardy On Twitter Add apmahardy on Facebook Add apmahardy on Google+ Add apmahardy on Thingiverse

Contest!

Hey Eddie! Nice to finally interact away from G+.
    This contest is great and very exciting! 3D-printing technology is still slightly out of reach for my financial state (right out of school -- intern slaving ) dropping one or two g's on a reliable machine is still a hair toooo much-- Well, lets get to the questions!

Where do I even start! I've been following 3dprinting technology for years now and this question certainly recalls some select moments of overwhelming amazement. One instance in particular stands out. Eric Klarinbeek's "mycelium" 3dprinted chairs. http://www.dezeen.com/2013/10/20/mycelium-chair-by-eric-klarenbeek-is-3d-printed-with-living-fungus/ I'm a huge supporter of the understanding that the injection of 3d printing technology into ALL other fields is inevitable. Healthcare products, science, art, architecture, engineering, fashion, medicine-- the list goes on! Back to the fungi printing. Not only is this a great example of a new material to print with (mycelium) its a great example of printing a 'system' and not just an object. Sure, printing a product to look like that particular product is one thing (prototyping), but what if it could be printed in such a way to influence the way that product actually acts (biomimicry)? Allow me to elaborate. Eric Klarinbeek didn't print a copy of a mushroom-- he printed a form (in this case a chair) and using the complex layering of additive manufacturing, was able to control the location where the fungi grew. The printing was done months ago, but the chair continues to grow. The possibilities are outrageous!

What a tease! The perfect AIO (all-in-one) of course, but lets start with the hardware first. A 3d-printer with three heads-- two heads would be able to rotate from working in the x and y axis to working in the z (enabling material to be added to the sides as well as the top-- not sure of the implications here (mechanically) but something has to be there. A heated bed for ABS models and vents in the side of the case. Due to the varying climates and temperatures (and interns shoved into a cold colorado basements to work) these vents would work like camera apertures-- the user would be able to the manually open and close them, allowing for an increase or decrease in airflow (maybe a temperature gauge in the case and something to automatically adjust aperture size! Now i'm getting greedy). Or, maybe a memory shape polymer that adjust to temperature by opening and closing? Ok, fine back to the dream machine. The model bed would also be able to turn 360 degrees on its z-axis and two lasers would scan the objects depth data while a webcam captured textures and colors, providing 3d-scanning capabilities. Oh! Of course, the beds and heads could be manually swapped out for other beds and heads allowing you to convert you machine into a laser cutter(fans and filter in base of unit to draw out fumes.), Mini CNC router, and etcher oh my! Why stop there? Lets add insult to injury and say that this machine is pretty bulky in size and can also preform good ole' conventional printer tasks. Printing and scanning documents, and faxing would all be functions. Heck, lets throw a K-cup receptacle and water reservoir (could be used to water cool your machine through radiator-like fins) in the mix. Who doesn't like ten second coffee and ten minute prototypes at eight O'clock in the morning? In fact, pre-load the material, set the printers autoprint feature to 3dprint a model of a mug at 7:30am than at 7:55 have it brew and fill it with coffee.

Good luck everyone and happy (3d)printing!

Last edited by apmahardy; 09-02-2014 at 08:28 PM.

My entry:

Everything. I'm absolutely amazed by new innovations being made by 3D printing. I am the most intrigued by bio-printing. The process aiding medical institutions to grow new skin, internal organs, bones, ect is absolutely incredible. The future is now!!!

If I had the means, the brains, and the resources, I would build a 3D printer that reverses Einstein's theory of relativity and use light to create matter on the sub-atomic level!!! Ahahahaha! Ahem.. but, since I can't do that and it would take a large hadron colider and a couple thousand years at this time to make something the size of a grain of sugar, then I would have to do something a little more practical. I enjoy helping people and making life more convenient. So, I'd love to make a printer for a business that would allow people to model everything from car parts, food, nic-nacs to jewelry, tools, ect. I'd call the shop Printastic or Printacular and have a discount system for people to bring in recyclable items. It would cut labor and shipping costs and be a real fun place to have around!

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast