Close

4 drivers for z-axis

Good day, everyone!I need to connect 4 stepper motors to 4 Z-axis drivers. For this I use SKR 1.4 turbo and EXP MOT V1.The problem is that two of the 3 motors connected to the EXP MOT are working.I would be grateful if you have any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HCDKutber; 02-06-2021 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Format

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    For 4 stepper motors working together to move Z you need just one extra universal stepper motor expansion board. Right next to each stepper driver socket on your SKR 1.4 is a bank of pins. This is a breakout of all the pins that run back and forth between the controller and that socket. We can use this as a tap to drive a second stepper that will parallel the driver we are trying to clone. Here is one of my rigs with dual X, Y, and Z. Dual Z is baked into the SKR boards but for X and Y I have added a second stepper driver without making any changes to my firmware..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Ok so now you will have 2 stepper drivers working together driven off just one set of gpio pins from the mcu. This should be your half way point to your goal, right? So after I had these driver expansion boards I started thinking about ways to chase efficiency and I realized that 2 stepper motors working together to drive an axis will not necessarily need 2x the forward current to drive them and so I tossed the expansion boards and bought splitters. Which have worked out great. They just split the wires going to the stepper motor. And work flawlessly. And so I say the better way to chase 4 stepper motors for Z would be to get one universal stepper expansion board and a splitter. Wire the stepper expansion board to the Z motor driver socket pins as above and then wire a splitter to the stepper driver you added. The SKR 1.4 already has a built in splitter for the Z socket it has. And you can drive 4 z steppers happily with 2 drivers run from just one set of pins from the mcu and have a exp1 & exp2 headers open on your SKR board for a dual mode tft. Here is my same rig from above just with the splitters..
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 02-06-2021 at 11:19 AM.