Close

Help to find the most suitable 3d printing service

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, nice to meet you!I need a suggestion for the first 3d printing, I hope you can help me.I would like to print a watch case, which I designed in .STL format and which I would like to make in 316L steel.I saw that unlike Shapeways, Sculpteo offers 3 different types of 316L steel printing:- Laser (DLMS);- Ultrafuse;- Binder Jetting.In your opinion, what could be the most suitable printing technique?Of course, since it is a watch, the aesthetic appearance and the final quality of the finishes have greater relevance than other characteristics such as strength or heat resistance.I specify that I would not like to see the print layers and I can instead appreciate both a glossy finish and a sandblasted finish.The important thing is that the surface has a uniform appearance.Thanks for the support!
    Last edited by ivanisevic82; 02-02-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Each of the systems you mention are based on fusing powdered metal either directly in DLMs which uses a very powerful laser to sinter powder layers in a similar way to SLS sinters polymer powders the other 2 process stick powder together one way another then burn the glue out and sinter the powder together. all of them will need postprocessing to get a mirror finish.1 method you haven't mentioned is investment casting (the lost wax process) by which a model of the final part is printed on an ordinary FDM printer using a wax like filament The resultant model is then coated in clay which is allowed to dry and the wax melted out to give a mould for normal metal casting. Most of the postprocessing of the model can be done on the simply worked wax before casting. Most areas have casting works used by sculptors and others.of the 4 methods I would use the lastIncidentally a lot of jewelry is made by the lost wax process in all sorts of metals even precious metals
    Last edited by Gambo; 02-05-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    sorry i forgot to mention that DLMS and binder jetting build the model an the middle of a block of unfused powder avoiding the need for support structures for over hangs which are needed in the other two methods

Dear Gambo, thank you very much for you helpful reply! I only ask you a clasification: is the FDM technology you mentioned similar to the "Ultrafuse" of Sculpteo?https://www.sculpteo.com/en/material...eel-316l/Thank you again!

Engineer-in-Training
    Sorry I was not clear FDM is the 3d printing process using a plastic filament and stands for Fused Deposition Modeling also some times known as FFF. Ultrafuse316L is the filament that Sculpteo use this material to make your model using the FDM method of manufacture. Ultrafuse316L is a filament made by mixing 80% stainless steel 316 powder in a polymer binder.
    After printing the model is then sintered to melt the 316 powder into a solid. I have to say I don't think I have ever seen the raw result from this process but I have seen the raw results from other sintered powder process and the surface would require quite a lot of polishin to get to a jewelry standard finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
    Sorry I was not clear FDM is the 3d printing process using a plastic filament and stands for Fused Deposition Modeling also some times known as FFF. Ultrafuse316L is the filament that Sculpteo use this material to make your model using the FDM method of manufacture. Ultrafuse316L is a filament made by mixing 80% stainless steel 316 powder in a polymer binder.After printing the model is then sintered to melt the 316 powder into a solid. I have to say I don't think I have ever seen the raw result from this process but I have seen the raw results from other sintered powder process and the surface would require quite a lot of polishin to get to a jewelry standard finish.
    OK thank you!In order to better understand the type of 3d printing you recommend, you could refer me to a specific service offered by one of the most famous suppliers (shapeways, imaterialise, sculptero, etc ...).Thank you again!

Engineer-in-Training
    I am sorry I can't offer specific recommendation for 3d print bureaus because I have no idea exactly what you want to make other than it is watch/. If you are prepared to send me a copy of the SLA file to colin@gammascience.co.uk I can recommend the process to use.
    To do this I must ask do you have any experience in working Stainless steel ?? It is one of the most difficult materials to work.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    with all metal printing - the finish and appearance of the final product is almost entirely down to the post processing.

dmls would be the best method of manufecture for someone not used to design for 3d printing as you can make almost anything.

But it will still need to be finished and polished.

have to admit how small printed metal items are finished is something I have little knowlege of and, it's on my list of things to research.

But you probably need to look at the services and ask how they finish the products as that has a much greater bearing on appearance of metal objects than the actul manufacture process.

I have never seen lines in any 3d printed object - and I carry a little pocket microscope that I use at tct shows to look at printed metal objects.
    So that's not an issue.
    Just smoothness and shininess :-)