Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

New CoreXZ 3D Printer

A man named Nicholas Seward has designed and created a new type of 3D pritner that uses CoreXZ geometry rather than the customary CoreXY. It is a more affordable machine to build and it is capable of higher Z direction resolution. He built the printer for around $500 but he believes he can create one for as little as $250. Read more about this interesting new 3D printer and check out the video at: http://3dprint.com/10249/corexz-3d-printer-collapsible/

Staff Engineer
    Most of Seward's designs are mostly a novelty (though I'm a believer in the GUS becoming more mainstream eventually, it has some issues in ironing out the firmware right now.) The CoreXZ seems to have surprised everyone in that it's actually a conventional printer that is rock-solid from his demos of it.

He didn't seem to express any interest in selling a big number of kits of it himself, but I wouldn't be surprised if some big name in RepRaps picks up the design to mass-produce.

Engineer-in-Training
    CoreXZ is interesting. It does away with a bunch of issues with z screws, though I don't remember if there's a counterbalance to keep the axis from crashing on power cut.

The article's explanation of CoreXZ doesn't fly though. The Z of RepRaps have a lot more resolution because of the threaded rods or lead screws.

Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    CoreXZ is interesting. It does away with a bunch of issues with z screws, though I don't remember if there's a counterbalance to keep the axis from crashing on power cut.

The article's explanation of CoreXZ doesn't fly though. The Z of RepRaps have a lot more resolution because of the threaded rods or lead screws.
    When properly tensioned (I have printed 4kg+ without a retension.) the gantry won't fall.

The article was just pointing out that in a CoreXY arrangement that you have the same resolution in both the X and the Y direction. The CoreXZ has a 3:1 reduction in the Z direction. This is less resolution than screws offer but more than enough for <100um printing.