Close

Unhappy Support Settings for ABS cup with overhangs

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to print this portafilter dosing cup model (for an espresso machine)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4648455

And for the life of me, I've been having problems trying to support the small lip sticking out around the edges without causing issues with the surface quality on the outside of the cup.I'm using Cura 4.6 and currently setup simple supports using the Cross type with walls to keep them from collapsing. The cross type creates four gaps in the support material to allow airflow between the outside walls and support walls. But when the part prints (I'm using ABS), the outside walls shielded by the support material look discolored and have some layer separation in spots (see pictures below).

I suspect that it is not being evenly heated because of the supports and am trying to find a simple way to redo the supports so they are not completely shielding the sides. Doe anyone have any ideas of how to best make supports for the lip around the outside of the cup? Ideally, I want to make them open so air can get to the sides.

This model was printed on an Airwolf3D AXIOM Dual Direct Drive Printer.

- Jason O