Close

Student

List of parts for a from scratch diy 3d printer

Hello. I would like to get suggestions for a part's lists in order to build a cartesian printer having the following specifics:
    400x400x400 bed (or 500x500x500, if related parts exist), 10mm belts, 8mm threads & shafts, filament check, wifi capability, bed leveling probe, job resume, color display, led lights to illuminate the printing area, dual extrusion, direct drive (preferably slim nema17, or normal nema 14).
    The frame will be in aluminium (I have anyway the capability to works thin metal sheets): some parts could also be printed by my current 3dp.
    Price is not an issue: obviously, the lower the better.
    Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Marcell; 01-17-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well to start with for a printer that size - you need at least 10mm smooth and threaded rod, for a cartesian I'd go for 12mm.

Those are long rods carrying a fair bit of weight.

A skr 1.4 turbo board with 4.5 inch screen and tmc 2200 stepper drivers will do everything else for not a lot of money.

But do not skimp on the frame and mechanical side of things.
    Your carriage support rods need to be completely rigid and on a 500mm print volume, that's - at least - a 600mm long rod. So 12mm would be the minimum I'd consider.

Price is not an issue: obviously, the lower the better.
    Well, price is an issue and the lower the better will not make the best printer.
    There is usually a compromise area between teh most expensive and the best value.
    Either way you almost never end up using the lowest price parts :-)

Student
    Thanks Aardvark . Ok, the maximum expense is 350-500 euros.
    As you might guess, I'm a noobie and not so deep in details: so I ask, what about the effects I would achieve (leveling, wifi, anti-salmon skin &c)? Modules? Fiddling with Marlin? What kind of screen can I pair to this board? (is tft24 or tft43 any good? Or anything would work?) And, what about the heat bed & glass? Is the TMC2208/2209 usable on that mobo?
    Last edited by Marcell; 01-17-2021 at 04:17 PM.