Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well as a rule pet-g is far more chemical resistant than abs.
    what are you using that attacks pet-g ?

@gambo - ABS at 100mm/s - now that's impressive !

And yeah there are a LOT of different recipe abs's out there now. I guess I need to adjsut my viewpoint - again lol
    Is there one that doesn't smell like a chemical factory's exhaust vents ?
    That's probably my main personal objection to it.

As far as flexiblily goes - pet'g is a LOT tougher than abs. I wouldn't like to make a living hinge with abs, but could definitely do one with pet-g. Also Pet-g has higher glass point. It's not as stiff as abs, but is much much better in outside or aquatic environments. Considerably more uv resistant.

PET (NOT pet-g) - is probably the nearest user friendy direct equivalent to abs. In that it's stiffer than pet-g, but also more brittle.
    ASA is the most direct equivalent to abs and is easier to print with. But it still stinks my workshop out.

My crunch tests have pet and abs about the same. But pet has way better layer adhesion.
    Unfortunaterly PET is difficult to find - the roll I have was sent by mistake. Well it was advertised as pet-g.
    And weirdly works best when 'damp'.

But as has been mentioned, there has been a lot of modified abs filaments released in the last 5 years since I stopped using it.

And as I said - everyone's setup is different.

Best advice is to buy a bunch of samples and see what works best for you: https://globalfsd.com/
    Therev are probably other sellers who do sample lengths. but as far as I know - globalfsd - do more than anyone else.
    https://globalfsd.com/abs-filaments-5-c.asp

They even do a polycarbonate-abs blend. Now that would be an interesting beast.

I used to get all the newest filament samples from the tct show. But - obviously - there wasn't one last year and there were no filament manufacturers or retailers there in 2019.
    So I'm a couple years out of date :-(

Well they do samples of abs-x - claims low warpage and very low odour.
    Might have to give that a try.

Og yeah - trolley keys are for releasing supermarket shopping trolleys without having to use a trapped coin.

Essentially they are a semi-circle the thickness and diameter of the coin used to 'buy' a trolley. attached to a stick.
    You poke it in the coin slot and wiggle it about to release the trolley and then turn it sideways andremove.
    You then have a trolley you can safely abandon anywhere and never need have a coin with you ever again.
    They cost a couple of cents to make, take about 5 minutes to print. And if - like me - you have your company name or logo written on them, it's really easy too see how well the filament is printing.
    They are great for mass producing and are a giveaway that people will keep and use (hence the name and/or logo).
    And can even be sold to small companies as a keyring give-a-way.

I've made them in loony (canadian one dollar coin has picture of a loon on and are commonly called loonies) size for my sister in canada, euro size for friends in ireland and pound coin size for the uk.

No idea what coin is used in the states, but I've probably got one I can use to measure :-)

If you can't be bothered to desing your own - lots on thingiverse:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...&sort=relevant

well I was going to buy a 10metre sample of white abs-x,
    but with post they want £4.95 - which is taking the piss somewhat !

@gambo - you got any offcuts I could have ? happy to pay postage :-)
    A small coil could go in a small envelope with 2nd class stamp.
    I've got bags and bags of samples or all kinds of filaments if you fancy something in exchange instead :-)
    Hell I've even got three rolls of abs-pro that were free at one tct - so we grabbed a few ;-)

where abouts in the uk are you ?
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-20-2021 at 06:44 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi Aadvark ABS-x from 3dFilapint and ABS-pro from OOznest are the same material made in Holland by Mitsubishi Chemicals subsidiary that Used to be called Dutch Filaments.

As to chemical resistance you are quiet right PET-G does have a very good chemical resistance profile but unfortunately it does break down when exposed to polyphenols which we use in one of our processes and also slowly to some strong alkali solutions again which we use. I found that out the hard way many years ago when I store a strong basic solution in a PET bottle because I had run out of HDPE bottles and had a mess to clear up.

I have just started using PET-G though and as you say not withstanding the above problems where it can be used it is pretty good stuff. Incidentally the PET-G I am using also comes from Dutch Filaments.

Finally send me an address and I will happily send You a sample of the ABS-x/pro I have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12