Close

Best way to design a custom piece - complete newbie to 3D design

I have been printing using an Ender-5 for a few months, mostly from thingiverse and most recently using the SCAD customizer. Now I need to design a piece for my laser printing air extraction system but struggling to know how to start and which software would give me the best chance of success.The piece is an oval plug that fits inside a 160mm x 195mm pipe - I want it to go in about 25mm into the pipe. It needs to have an attached pipe in the middle of 100mm OD that extends 60mm out that will allow an extraction pipe to be attached.Sounds simple but what would be the best (easiest) way to start?Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
    I have been printing using an Ender-5 for a few months, mostly from thingiverse and most recently using the SCAD customizer. Now I need to design a piece for my laser printing air extraction system but struggling to know how to start and which software would give me the best chance of success.The piece is an oval plug that fits inside a 160mm x 195mm pipe - I want it to go in about 25mm into the pipe. It needs to have an attached pipe in the middle of 100mm OD that extends 60mm out that will allow an extraction pipe to be attached.Sounds simple but what would be the best (easiest) way to start?Thanks!

• Phase 1: Manipulate existing 3D models. This gets you comfortable working in a 3D space and gives a feel for designing for the unique needs of 3D printing.
    • Phase 2: Use basic tools to create something new. ...
    • Phase 3: Create simple CAD projects. ...
    • Phase 4: Keep pushing your skills.