Close

'Terraces' on sloping surface

EDIT: Just found this article and will try to print the body tilted upwards so the slope is not on the top but on the side. And update this post with the result.
    ----------------------------
    Hi everyone!

I'm trying to print a body with a sloping surface and get an ugly texture.
    I'm assuming these are the layers, is that correct?
    How can I prevent this?

This is what it looks like:
    IMG_2209.jpg
    It's partly a design issue as the line texture is not parallel to the short edges, here's an inspection view taken in Fusion 360:
    inspect_6.jpg
    I would be happy to get an advice how to better align the surface during modeling.

But getting rid of the texture completely is the main problem, I'm guessing that's not a design problem, or?

This is a screenshot from Cura which already shows the lines:
    slice4.jpg
    Here are the print settings: Click me

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by elektronaut; 12-28-2020 at 07:08 PM.

a .1mm layer height would reduce the step height and using a slicer with ironing function would help on smoothing the top surface a little in this case (Prusaslicer 2.3 rc2 works very nicely for this) Also as you suggest tilting the model and printing with support would give a smoother flat top but rough bottom.. remember this is additive printing and post processing is just the reality of the that process..

Thank you for your reply!

As announced, I now tilted the model so that it was standing on the short right side (the model is higher than pictured above, where I sliced it for the test print), and the result looks pretty good.
    Just some layers visible on the short left side as that was at the top during printing.
    So I'm happy and hope that this thread will help people with the same problem.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah basically print it on it's side :-)

As you gain experience you will find it is best to keep the fabrication method limitations in mind when you are designing a part. Such as print orientations and how it will paly into part strength . Such as a long item may not be structurally strong enough printed in one orientation vs another Tall thin items printed vertically will tend to snap at layer lines. If the same item is printed horizontally it will be many times stronger with the layers running the length of the item. This is not an issue when injection molded as there are no layers.. Also, over hangs require supports, try and avoid the need for support as they increase post processing requirements and filament waste.
    Have fun!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    and generally any surface that has had supports looks bloody awful.

In nearly 8 years of designing hundreds of parts and models I have never needed to use supports on an original design.

The only time I've had to use supports is when I've been reverse enginering a small widget or part to replace something in the house that's broken. Battery compartment covers seem to break and get lost pretty frequently, and are generally bastards to copy as they have really tiny bits sticking out at awkward angles. :-)

But when designing from scratch, there's usually away round using supports. Even breaking something into 2 or three seperate prints and assembling or glueign is usually preferable to a one piece print with supports. Well I find it so, anyway :-)